Friday 9 September 2016

Wayward Pines Seasons 1 & 2 (Spoiler Free)

wayward-pines-season-1-2-review
Living with someone isn’t all it’s cracked up to be sometimes. Sure, the bills are halved, there’s someone to help tidy up the mess (isn’t there just twice the amount of mess though?) but you know what sucks? Having to watch your favourite TV Shows at the same pace as them. (I’m kidding, love you - by the way it’s your turn to wash up). It’s taken my husband and I months to work through a few small comedy shows, and we haven’t seen any dramas since Dexter. Anything I suggested I could watch alone was suddenly something he was interested in too, so I needed something fairly short and gripping, so we could watch it at a good pace. I needed my TV fix!

We’d burnt through Parks & Rec, The IT Crowd and 30 Rock, and we aren’t horror fans, so it was going to have to be a gripping drama for us. After a few recommendations, Wayward Pines sounded like the winner, so a couple of weeks ago we gave the first episode a try. Let me tell you now, this is a mysterious show indeed, and so I promise I’m going to keep in spoiler free, in case you’re interested in giving this show a go.

There are just 2 seasons out so far, and we managed to burn through them in 3 weeks. That’s pretty good going for us, I promise! There’s 10 episodes per season, and they’re your usual 45 minutes without adverts kind of length. I’m told in the opening credits that the show is based on a trilogy of novels by Blake Crouch. I’m so tempted to read these but I love the mystery of the show! I’m curious to see if they follow the same sort of format as the show. Does anyone know if each season is based on each book? I’m too scared to google anything…

wayward-pines-matt-dillon-juliette-lewis

You see, each of the two seasons has a completely different feel to it. Season 1 is a mystery for sure. The main character, Ethan (Matt Dillon) is an FBI Agent who wakes up in the town of Wayward Pines on a mission to find two missing agents. He soon realises there is something completely off about this town. Everyone is acting strange, and he seemingly can’t escape. I spent half an hour after each episode explaining my new theory on just what on earth Wayward Pines even is! 

Season 2 introduces a new host of characters, and at this point we as the audience know the truth about the town. Newcomer Doctor Yedlin (Jason Patric) quickly rises in power to become one of the most important members of the town, as a threat rapidly becomes more and more urgent with each episode. This season is much more thriller, and as much as I missed some of the mystery, there are still plenty of twists that had me quite literally gasping aloud.

wayward-pines-jason-patric-theo-yedlin

On Twitter I think I summed it up pretty easily. Season 1 is ‘what the ****?’ and Season 2 is ‘they’re all ****ed’.

It’s not one of those shows you should research to see if you’d like it. Don’t even look it up on IMDB because you’ll see the cast list, and that tells you straight off how many episodes each character is in. Just take my advice. If you’re the slightest bit curious about Wayward Pines, give the first episode a try. If you’re not hooked after the first episode’s ending, this perhaps isn’t the show for you.

wayward-pines-carousel

Oh, and screw this carousel, man. Wayward Pines isn't even a horror show but this carousel gives me the creeps and should probably get second billing in most episodes.

Have any of you seen the show? Or read the book? I’d really love to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment