Saturday 17 September 2016

Review: Sing Street (2016)

Sometimes, a movie just sneaks up on me out of nowhere, and takes me by surprise. That’s what happened to me with Begin Again (2013), now one of my favourite movies. Then, a Tumblr blog brought my attention to the song from Once (2007), Falling Slowly, a song I eventually walked down the aisle to on my wedding day. Both movies were written and directed by John Carney, now a legend in my eyes, so how Sing Street got released without my knowing is beyond me!

sing-street-movie-review-2016

Connor (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo) is having a rough time. His family life isn’t great, his parents (Aidan Gillen & Maria Doyle Kennedy) are struggling for money and arguing relentlessly, and to save money, Connor is forced to move schools. After a disturbing confrontation with the school’s resident bully, he finally makes a friend in Darren (Ben Carolan). Whilst chatting to Darren outside the school gates, he spots a beautiful girl. Determined to impress her, he tells her he’s in a band and needs a model for their music video. The girl, Raphina (Lucy Boynton) agrees, leaving Connor with the task of putting a band together and actually making some music.

The first third of the movie is spent introducing the rest of the cast as the band is formed, they’re a rag tag bunch, but highly likeable. Sadly we don’t hear much from a lot of them, but Eamon (Mark McKenna) helps Connor write the music  and the two have great chemistry together. This is the first major movie credit for a lot of the cast which is hard to believe at times, they’re all so talented. Mark McKenna stood out the most, but I couldn’t shake it from my head how much he reminded me of Corey Feldman from Stand By Me!

sing-street-mark-mckenna-ferdia-walsh-peelo

Sing Street is set in the 80’s, and obviously the music choices and inspiration is all gained from popular bands from this era. I was just about born in the 80’s myself, but never really was a fan of the music. It was off putting to begin with, but as the boys put together their own original songs, I got the same warm fuzzy feeling that I had with Once and Begin Again, and I loved it every moment after. The story isn’t new, but it’s done so well that comparing it to others is pointless, because Sing Street is better.

It’s just such a beautiful movie. Watching Conner and the gang’s person styles change as the movie went on, and some of the shots of Ireland were stunning. It made me realise just how beautiful the countryside, and even the villages themselves, can be. There’s a lot in this movie actually that made me feel warm and happy inside, and the ending did, too. In fact, I’m not even sure what happened, but once the credits started and stated that the movie was ‘dedicated to brothers everywhere’ I even shed a few happy tears. Maybe it was just the summer heat getting to me.

sing-street-lucy-boynton-ferdia-walsh-peelo

I’ve decided now that I’ll follow John Carney anywhere and everywhere, in the movie sense at least. That’s another soundtrack I need asap.


16 comments:

  1. I wanted to see this so badly, then John Carney went on that rant about how Keira Knightley was bad in Begin Again and it pissed me off so much that I completely skipped this. I think I'll visit it someday, because I really do like his movies. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no way, did he really say that?! Keira Knightley gets so much stick and I thought she was great in Begin Again :(
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see this! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read your review when you get to it!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked this Allie! :) Perhaps it is because I am in a band and take my music a bit seriously, but I couldn't get into this one at all.

    You have a different perspective though, and this and other reviews has me wanting to re-visit this one. I do think though that the characters were exceptionally shallow, apart from the lead-singer's brother, who was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably rank it below Once (which is just perfect in my opinion) and Begin Again, but I did still love it. It just took me a while to really get into it. That said, I have zero musical talent so I would imagine you would look at it with a much sharper eye than me :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you!! I played around with so much HTML I's started to actually break things, so we took it back to basics :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Definitely one of my favorites of the year. It's probably the year's most adorable movie. The soundtrack has been on permanent repeat since I saw it. "Drive It Like You Stole It" is the song of the year. This movie definitely gives me the warm fuzzies whenever I think about it, and so I'm glad whenever I see another person fall in love (or at least like) with it). SO GLAD you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drive It Like You Stole It is brilliant! I think I need to get my hands on the soundtrack for my car. I'm trying to tell everyone and anyone to give this movie a chance :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Great review Allie! I really loved this movie, I can't wait to show it to my girlfriend when it comes out on VOD. It was gone from theatres in only a couple of weeks :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many great movies are coming and going within a week or so. I really wanted to see Kubo & the Two Strings, missed my chance the other day and my cinema are already down to just 1 showing a day :(
      I hope your girlfriend loves it!
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. This is, by far, my most favorite movie this year! John Carney has never failed me once ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't wait to see what he does next! :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't say the music choices were an issue, as a do like some 80s songs, it's just the nostalgia I don't get as I wasn't born in that decade.

    And I see it now, Mark McKenna does have that Corey Feldman vibe about him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! It's definitely hard to feel nostalgic about a decade you weren't around for :)
      - Allie

      Delete