Thursday 15 September 2016

My 5 Favourite Tom Hardy Roles

I love making lists so much that I have a list of lists in my blogging notebook! Sadly I haven’t got around to actually turning any into posts for a while, so I started a to-do list, and the top item was ‘make a list’. Heard the word list enough yet? 

In honour of Tom Hardy’s birthday today, I thought I’d share with you a list of my 5 favourite performances of his. I’d love to make it a Top 10, but my Letterboxd is telling me that I’ve embarrassingly only seen 9 movies that he’s been in. Yikes! He’s an outstanding actor, so I need to raise that number as soon as possible. Can anyone recommend somewhere for me to start? 

Before I start I want to throw in an honourable mention for his character Tuck in This Means War (2012), because that movie is such a guilty pleasure of mine, no matter how absurd it is. Petition for another rom com starring Mr Hardy?

tom-hardy-the-revenant-best-roles

#5 John Fitzgerald, The Revenant (2015)
The Revenant is a movie that I never want to see every again, and I honestly mean that in the best way possible. It was brutal from start to finish, and as much as Leo was great and deserved his Oscar, there wasn’t nearly enough love for Tom Hardy.

tom-hardy-mad-max-fury-road-best-roles

#4 Max, Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
Mel Gibson himself gave Tom Hardy his blessing to play Max, and if that isn’t enough of a reason for being in my list, I don’t know what is. I think I could have counted the number of lines Max spoke during the entire movie on my fingers, but of course that’s all part of the persona.

tom-hardy-stuart-a-life-backwards-best-roles

#3 Stuart Shorter, Stuart: A Life Backwards (2007)
This might be one of Tom Hardy’s lesser known roles, but Stuart: A Life Backwards is a fascinating little made-for-TV movie. Hardy plays Stuart, a homeless alcoholic with some terrible issues. It’s certainly not a light hearted movie, but it’s certainly worth a watch!

tom-hardy-ivan-locke-best-roles

#2 Ivan Locke, Locke (2013)
I swear, I’ll still be talking about Locke when I’m on my death bed. It’s such an underrated movie. It’s essentially a 90 minute movie in which Ivan Locke drives home from his workplace in Birmingham, having several conversations through his hands-free kit in his phone. That’s literally the entire movie, but it’s gripping.

tom-hardy-legend-kray-twins-best-roles

#1 Reggie & Ron Kray, Legend (2015)
Boy, 2015 was Tom Hardy’s year for sure! It feels odd putting Legend at the top spot, because I didn’t really love the movie. That said, I’m ranking Tom Hardy’s roles rather than the movies themselves, and really, there wasn’t anything else that could take this spot. Hardy manages to play a set of twins with very different personalities and mannerisms, and he does it so well that it’s easy to forget that these twins are in fact the same person. Legend is worth the watch for those performances alone!

So please, let me know what other movies I need to see. Are there any I’ve missed that you would have put in your own Top 5?

10 comments:

  1. Yes x's 1000 for your #1...but where is Bronson?!?!?!

    Also, I had no idea they made a film version of Stuart. I read that book years ago. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I've never actually heard of Bronson but I just looked it up. That movie sounds amazing!!
      I also had no idea Stuart was based on a book - doh!! Major slap on the wrist today.
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen your #3, so I'd probably put Bronson in there because holy crap he was good in that. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of Bronson but I've just looked it up - that sounds intense and I'm gonna watch it ASAP!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Love this list! My favorite performance of this wonderful gorgeous man is The Drop but Locke is a close second to that, he is just fantastic in this movie and totally manages to pull you in the film just with his charisma and quality of his acting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I feel like a blogging fraud afterwards, I love making these posts because you wonderful bloggers point out movies I've never seen, and then I cry about how big my must watch list gets!
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. I love his role in Inception - "you mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling" is a brilliant line that gets me every time! :) Great post Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I forgot all about Inception! I need to watch that movie again, it was pre-blog for me so it's definitely time to visit it again :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Awesome list! He's given a lot of great performances. I don't know how I'd rate my list; Inception, Locke, and Mad Max:Fury Road would be on there. Probably This Means War too - I thought he and Chris Pine were hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE you for that. This Means War is one of my favourite rom coms out there. I'm actually feeling a little bad for not including it in my list now.
      - Allie

      Delete