Tuesday 27 September 2016

Review: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

whiskey-tango-foxtrot-movie-review-2016
UPDATED with Jenna's review: Tina Fey is my spirit animal. I absolutely love her. Currently, I’m binge watching 30 Rock like there’s no tomorrow, knowing the end is in sight and not wanting it all to be over whilst saying to myself ‘just one more episode’. So I knew as soon as Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016) came out, I was going to have to see it asap. I’d just come back off honeymoon and knew I needed something funny to pick me up, so this was perfect.  I am not such a Tina Fey fan, I don't dislike her at all (loved her in Sisters) but I don't actively watch things because she is in it, I can find her irritating so I have to limit my intake.

The movie is based on memoir of real-life reporter Kim Barker, titled ‘The Taliban Shuffle’, recounting her experiences with reporting on the war in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Kim, played by Tina Fey, had no experience in this field what-so-ever, but being unmarried without children was enough.

Maybe I should have worked this out on my own, but from the trailer I was expecting a bit of a parody, something to keep me laughing throughout. Don’t get me wrong, some moments are absolutely hilarious, for example, when Kim first arrived in Afghanistan a lady shouts abuse at her for not having her hair covered, and Kim’s local guide and translator Fahim (Christopher Abbott) tells her she is simply welcoming her to the country. Then there’s a moment where Kim describes the local women as ‘walking Ikea bags’ or something like that, which had me in tears!  Yeah I completely suprised by this, I was expected and full on 'Tina Fey' comedy and got nothing of the sort.  It had funny moments as Allie said but nothing that would make it a comedy, it is much more of a drama.  Luckily, as a drama it was very good so I didn't feel entirely cheated by the trailer.

whiskey-tango-foxtrot-the-taliban-shuffle

Mostly though, the movie is a drama that hit me harder than I thought it would. I don’t watch a lot of war movies anyway, but the ones I have seen have focussed on the action, and the soldiers fighting these wars. They’re exciting, and fuelled with adrenaline. This is much different from that. Maybe it’s because I was seeing the war through the eyes of someone inexperienced to it all, someone who reacts the way I imagine I might have done.  It terrified me, I kept imagining what I would have done if I was in Kim's shoes and I just got all sweaty and anxious.  It really does show a whole new side to the war in Afghanistan!

There’s a great cast here. I’ve already mentioned Fahim, whose politeness when translating gets a lot of laughs, but I liked Tanya (Margot Robbie) more than I thought I would too. She’s a reporter too, and has been out there longer than Kim, but shows her the ropes and explains concepts such as ‘being an American 4 makes you a 10 out here’, making Tanya herself a 15. Obviously. General Hollanek’s (Billy Bob Thornton) bluntness caught me off guard several times. And then we have Martin Freeman as Iain, doing a brilliant Scottish accent, although the last time I saw him he was trying an American one in Civil War which was awful, so maybe my radar is off-balance. Honestly, it’s worth watching just to hear Martin Freeman drop the ‘c-bomb’ so frequently!  Not sure I was as impressed with Freeman's Scottish accent but maybe I'm still reeling from Captain America: Civil War. but yes the C-bomb ultimately made his character for me - you know I love a good swear!!

whiskey-tango-foxtrot-tina-fey-2016

I’m realising now that I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I did. It was definitely mis-marketed, and the tone shifts quite sharply every now and again which throws you off balance, but it’s a war movie that I’m recommending left, right and centre, and I don’t think that’s happened before. Give it a try!

I can't even explain how I felt about this film, one minute I was laughing, the next I was hugging a cushion, thankful that I was in the safety of my little house.  That being said, I was completely hooked!!







8 comments:

  1. I didn't see this in theaters, but I think it's one I would definitely watch on DVD. I love Tina Fey. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's definitely worth a watch if you're a Tina Fey fan, I got to see a completely different side to her :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. I really wanna see it for Margot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! She's an absolute delight in this :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one, and was lucky enough to talk to the author of the book it's based on. I'm not generally a big Tina Fey fan but she's really funny here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's amazing, Ruth! Did you do a post on your blog about it? I'd love to read it :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. I liked this about as much as you when I saw it, but IMO its a worrying trend this year... Hologram For A King, War Dogs, and this one, are all movies about white people sorting their lives out by going to a war-zone in the middle-east. A movie like Eye In The Sky I think is much more appropriate given the situation there. That said it isn't a bad movie, but I would like this trend of movies to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely becoming a saturated part of the movie market! I haven't seen Hologram For A King yet and I'd rather watch paint dry than see War Dogs, but Eye In The Sky was brilliant. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time and I was so bummed afterwards.
      - Allie

      Delete