Sunday 11 September 2016

Review: The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016)

This post has been sitting in drafts for MONTHS with no text in it, I have a theory that if I start the post title then that will remind to write the post - my theory does not work in case you were wondering!


So I am browsing Sky Box Office looking for something to watch and this popped up.  I really enjoyed the first one (preferably the parts without Kristen Stewart...) so this had to be even better due to her lack of casting and a replacement in the form of Jessica Chastain....



Winter's War takes place both before and after the events of Snow White and the Huntsman, delving into The Huntsman's past with his beloved wife and the present day trying to recover the stolen Magic Mirror along with a rabble of dwarves.  I don't want to add anything more for fear of spoilers, so that's all you're getting!



Any film with Chris Hemsworth being all manly man is a winner for me!!  The story could have been dull as dishwater and I still would have been happy.  Thankfully, the story wasn't dull, it was quite entertaining. There was plenty of action and the dwarves (Rob Brydon, Nick Frost and Sheriden Smith) provided some great comedic moments.  Finally, it never hurts to have a bad ass woman around (Jessica Chastain) who can kick all their butts into touch.  




It wasn't the best film I have ever seen, it seemed to have all the elements required for a good film but just fell a little bit flat.  The bad guys we're played by some of Hollywood's finest (Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt) a fact that seemed to be forgotten, leaving them both completely wasted.  Less fannying about in the woods and more screen time and history of these two would have helped.




It could have been better but it entertained me enough to not turn it off midway through. Probably wouldn't watch it again though.




2 comments:

  1. I thought you'd rate this higher because of Hemsworth! ;) But yeah, Chastain is certainly an upgrade from Stewart, I might watch this if it's on Netflix, but not enthused enough to pay to rent it, ahah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Kristen Stewart when she's not doing crappy Hollywood stuff, she's great in more indie films. I agree with your review, the villians were a bit wasted but the comedic performance of Brydon, Smith and Frost were great

    ReplyDelete