Thursday 11 December 2014

The Top 5 Worst Films of 2014

Wow, to be able to write a list like this makes me feel like an actual blogger. I used to look at people with confusion when they would argue over a film and discuss just how awful it was, because I'd never really watched a film that I disliked. I guess I used to watch so little films that I only watched what I knew I would like, which is what I love so much about this blog. It's opened my eyes to a huge array of films that I never would have watched before. Some of them I've loved, and others, not so much.

So here is me, jumping on the Top 5 bandwagon with the Top 5 worst films I've seen that came out this year.

What If (2014)


You know, I never even got round to reviewing this. I couldn't even try now, I can't remember what this film was even about. When we saw it at the cinema and ordered our tickets, the guy actually said 'what?'. He forgot the film existed, and that the cinema was showing it. It wasn't a bad film by any means, but it was just entirely forgettable, just a few months after I originally saw it.

The Inbetweeners 2 (2014)



Another film I never got round to reviewing! I absolutely loved the Inbetweeners TV Show, and was so excited when the first film came out. My brother and I even introduced our parents to it, who also loved it, even if they didn't understand some of the phrases. I think too much time passed between the first film and its sequel, and although The Inbetweeners 2 started off fairly strong, after half an hour I was bored and witnessed one of the worst endings to a film I've ever seen.

The Monuments Men (2014)




I quite often get my own way when my fiance and I go to the cinema. He doesn't mind really and will sit through nearly anything, like me. However, I thought earlier in the year we should really go to see something of his choice, and he chose The Monuments Men. I didn't protest too much, war films aren't really my thing but with that cast, I thought it would be okay. This, sadly, was a complete snore fest, and even my fiance turned to my halfway through and said 'sorry, we'll see whatever you want to next time'!.

Tammy (2014)



It wasn't very long ago that I included Tammy in a mini reviews post on here. I love Melissa McCarthy and think Bridesmaids and The Heat are comedy gold, but Tammy really fell short of the mark. She played the kind of character that she plays best, but without another lead or a decent supporting cast, she just came across as irritating. A shame, but it definitely hasn't put me off her.

Sex Tape (2014)



Oh Jenna, I blame you for this one! Not the film itself of course, that would be a little harsh, you can't be completely at fault, but it was your choice for us to see this! You can read just about anyone's review of Sex Tape and my opinions are the same, I don't think I ever found a positive one. Stupid characters doing stupid things, none of which are funny. But to be fair to the film, the credits were really funny.

After seeing Allie had started this post I decided to work out what my Top 5 worst movies of 2014 were.  After finding a list of all movies released in 2014 I was gutted to spot how many movies I have missed this year (although in my defence it has been a busy year!).  I have now doubled my 'watch list' just from films in 2014.  So this list is my Top 5 worst films of the one I have actually seen....

Need for Speed (2014)


Sorry Allie, this film just wasn't for me (and in payback, I blame you for this one because you told me it was really good and that I should watch it! It was really good! I can't believe you had to be forced to see this but you willingly went and saw Transformers...).  The story was terrible, the plot holes were huge and ridiculous and there was no chemistry between any of the cast.  So disappointed as I am a big fan of Aaron Paul (in Breaking Bad he is amazing and steals the show for me most of the time) but in this there was nothing about him.

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)


If you have seen my review of this you will already know I didn't like it.  The story was terrible, the cast worse and the dialogue cringeworthy.  It was too long and the action scenes moved so fast you had no idea what was going on, who was the good guy/bad guy/robot/dinosaur/human and ultimately by the end I didn't care anyway.

Lucy (2014)


A lot of people have been raving about this film (I haven't yet managed to review it myself) and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.  The acting was great, Scarlett Johannsen has the ability to act without saying a word which worked well for this but I kept expected the story to start, it felt like an introduction to the real story, which never came.  Not sure I thought it was that bad, just that from previous reviews I expected more so ended up disappointed.

Sex Tape (2014)


No need to say much as Allie said pretty much everything above but I will say This. Is. A. Sh*t. Movie.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)


Probably my biggest disappointment of 2014, mostly because I had really high hopes for it but I was let down.  As my childhood favourite, I was willing this to be great but it was far from it.  No chemistry, scary evil looking Turtles, random useless characters and terrible dialogue.  Music was great, but that is all that was great about this lifeless reboot.

What about you though? What films disappointed you this year?

21 comments:

  1. LOL. The Monuments Men is on my drafted "worst" list too. That movie was shit.

    I didn't hate What If, and I haven't seen the rest. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I definitely didn't hate What If, I just found it completely forgettable. Can't wait to see your list :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Aw, I actually really liked What If (still titled the F Word in Canada!). Otherwise, yeah, all these other films sucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think What If was a bad film at all really, I just sort of completely forgot about it after seeing it :(
      We get the worst film titles sometimes here in the UK!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Need for Speed and Transformers were both horrible. Haven't seen any of the others, yet, but I'm sure I will. My biggest disappointment so far is the craptacular Godzilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I really enjoyed Need for Speed :( I didn't mind Godzilla, but I certainly wasn't blown away and I have no desire to see it again either.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. LOL! I love these. I need to put my list to paper too...right now:

    Divergent
    In Your Eyes
    Mr. Peabody & Sherman
    The Rover
    Transcendence

    All five got F's from me :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, can you believe I haven't seen ANY of those yet?! I'm so behind!!
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. I dunno, What If wasn't all that good, but it didn't really bother me too much, either. Definitely agree with The Monuments Men, though. What a monumental letdown!

    Also, I actually liked the new Transformers and Lucy, and Need for Speed actually has a good chance of making my Best of Year List, LOL. Oh well, though, can't agree on everything I guess. :P But yeah, I'll be putting together my lists after Christmas, so make sure y'all check 'em out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What If definitely wasn't a bad film, but it was just forgettable for me. The Monuments Men was pretty darn awful though!
      I really loved Need for Speed, and I'm really looking forward to watching Lucy too, but it's nice that we all have our own opinions on these things :)
      Can't wait to see your lists!
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Wow! What If is on the list, well, I actually loved it, but not that much. Yet, I agree with the rest... especially, Transformers and The Monuments Men... I'd add Transcendence in this list or Annabelle or the new Expendables or The Legend of Hercules.

    So sad that I've seen so many bad movies in 2014...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the first time I've ever really been controversial on this blog! I didn't hate What If, it was just forgettable for me. I haven't even seen some of those films you just mentioned because I know already how bad they're going to be!
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Sex Tape definitely makes my worst list, Tammy, Lucy, and Need for Speed are somewhat on my mediocre side, compared to the other horrible movies I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I still can't believe we even watched Sex Tape after those horrible reviews!
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. nice lists, i have transformers appearing in plenty of my worst lists i have for January. i am glad to say none of the films you picked made any of my good lists too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, brilliant! I couldn't even bring myself to watch Transformers...I'm glad we have the same tastes :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  9. The only one of these I've seen is Lucy, but I'll agree with you on it not being a very good film. I probably should have been tipped off by the film's entire premise being based entirely around an idea that has been debunked numerous times by scientists. I barely even got through the first twenty minutes or so before I walked out.

    I don't think I could begin to list all the movies I saw this year, letalone the worst. Most of the ones you had on the list are ones that I avoided because I expected them to be bad. I know Melissa McCarthy can be funny but Tammy looked like it was just going to be a bunch of jokes about her obesity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy seems to have really split opinions, I haven't seen it yet but I definitely want to. There are definitely films that have come out this year that I've avoided just for the reason that I know they'll be bad! I haven't had enough time to see all the great ones I've missed, let alone the bad.
      - Allie

      Delete
  10. With ya on Monuments Men and Sex Tape. The former was incredibly boring for having such a great cast, and the latter failed as a comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all knew what to expect with Sex Tape, but I was so disappointed with Monuments Men, it could have been brilliant!
      - Allie

      Delete