Sunday 21 December 2014

12 Days of Christmas - Day 8 The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

I was so glad to see this film on the list that Jenna sent me when we discussed doing this 12 Days of Christmas project. I’m a huge fan of the Muppets but admittedly, I hadn’t seen The Muppet Christmas Carol since I was a child. This was actually the version of A Christmas Carol that taught me the story, and so for years I thought everyone else was just copying the Muppets!


If you’ve ever watched another Muppets film, you’ll know what to expect here. And if you haven’t, who are you, what are you doing here and please, go and watch one now! The legendary Alfred, sorry, Michael Caine plays Scrooge in this version, and the Muppets themselves replace the other characters. What makes this version so great is Gonzo plays Charles Dickens, and with Rizzo the Rat’s help, they tell the story to the audience, breaking the 4th wall.

There is something in this film for everyone to enjoy. Kids will love the Muppet characters telling such a classic tale, but I learnt while I watched this that adults will have just as much fun. There were so many jokes that would have gone straight over my head when I was younger, things like the family of rates that work in Scrooge’s finance department complaining about the cold ‘We’re freezing our assets off!’ as just one example. I may have laughed out loud at that. I love terrible jokes.


Of course, no Muppets film is complete without a host of catchy songs to sing along to. I had ‘One More Sleep Til Christmas’ stuck in my head instantly and I’ll spend the remaining days till Christmas singing it!

Ok so my opinion on this film will probably be met with shock, horror and annoyance...that will just be from Allie!!  I tried I really did BUT I do not like the Muppets, I did when I was a kid but now I don't find the films funny or entertaining but irritating and predictable.  I managed 20 minutes or so of this before I turned it off, therefore I won't score it as that seems mean but no no no this film is not for me Christmas or no Christmas!!


I don’t know if this will join my list of Christmas films that I watch without fail every year, but when the time comes, my children will be subjected to it for sure.




3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite christmas films, but i swear they changed it and got rid of one of the best songs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I just can't bear the muppets, no matter how hard I try - i would much rather watch Elf!!

    - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most be my inner child that loves the muppets

    ReplyDelete