Tuesday 23 December 2014

12 Days of Christmas - Day 10 Scrooged (1988)

I am a huge fan of Bill Murray so I was really looking forward to watching this for the first time for the 12 Days of Christmas series.


Frank Cross (Bill Murray) is a mean television executive who has no issues firing someone for questioning him 2 days before Christmas.  That is until he is visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future to show him the true meaning of Christmas (sound familiar?!). 

I really really really wanted to enjoy this but unfortunately I was disappointed, Bill Murray was great (as always) but the film was  obviously predictable as we all know the story.  If you are going to use a well known story to base your film around you need to have a clever twist or new take on the story to make it interested, this did not have either.  My biggest issue with it was the lack of humour, it thought it was supposed to be a comedy but I didn't even crack a smile let alone laugh.


The ghost of Christmas present (Carol Kane) I think was supposed to be funny, but she was so irritating I struggled to even watch let along laugh at her character.  Even Bill Murray couldn't save this one for me, sorry to anyone who watches this religiously at Christmas but I think any take on A Christmas Carol is a dud for me.


Much prefer a unique Christmas movie to repeats of the same old story over and over again. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to date myself when I tell you I saw this in the cinema back in 1988. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've never seen it since and after reading your review I don't feel inclined to.
    I think your last line nails it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was 3 when this came out so didn't manage to see it at the cinema haha!!

      It's just such a boring story, i don't know why they keep making it!!

      - Jenna

      Delete
  2. As a film, right now...this is just not that great, but Murray is HILARIOUS! In fact, I personally give him a Fisti nomination for Lead Actor in 1988 for this. One of those perfect comedic performances that elevates the material beyond what it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was funny but the story was so tedious that i couldn't find him entertaining!! He has most definitely picked better movies in his career!!
      - Jenna

      Delete