Tuesday 9 December 2014

Review: Bridesmaids (2011)

There is something I really wanted to mention on this blog but with it being a movie blog, I feel like most things we write have to link back to a movie in one way or another, so I found a relevant movie to review!!

On the last Flick Chicks night out I was truly gobsmacked when Allie asked me to be her Bridesmaid, I didn't expect it at all but I was so excited and thrilled to say yes.  This will be my first time being a Bridesmaid as a grown up so I get all the fun of the hen do (bachelorette party for the Americans among us!) as well as the wedding -  happy days!! 

I'm so excited that you're turning this into a blog post! As my fellow Flick Chick you just absolutely have to be up there with me!

Anyway to make this relevant to this blog I have decided to review Bridesmaids, which I am surprised I haven't done sooner as I really do love this movie.  (I will the Melissa McCarthy character at Allie's wedding haha!! Oh lordy, I'm terrified for the dress shopping now!)


Annie's (Kirsten Wiig) best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is getting married and it's down to her to be her Maid of Honour, that is until Helen (Rose Byrne) steps in and starts to splash the cash and make Annie feel inadequate.  Add in the rest of the crazy bridesmaid cast and you've got yourself an all star comedy, the female Hangover if you will.


Side bar:  I feel like we need to learn the routine to Wilson Phillp's Hold on for all the Bridesmaids at your wedding - what do you reckon Allie? You know full well that I don't dance, and my Mum is already planning a flash mob dance which she'll no doubt get you involved in!
Sorry, veering a little off track there.  This film is hilarious and no matter how many times I watch it, I still find it ridiculously funny, it never seems to get one.  The chemistry between the group of Bridesmaids, including the amazing Melissa McCarthy, is brilliant.  Can I name a bad thing about this movie? not really!


Taking on rom-coms and wedding films galore this funfest kicks ass as well as showing the 'real' side of wedding planning, bachelorette parties and competitiveness streaks that affect many bridal parties in the run up to weddings.  Who wouldn't hate this 'new friend' that has turned up and is trying to take your Best Friend away from you?! Worse still, this new friend steals your ideas but has significant funds to take them one step further (I so would have destroyed the giant cookie at that point as well!).


The female version of every male ensemble movie ever made but with clever humour and a penchant for reality (and a bit of toilet humour thrown in for good measure).  You can't hate it, its too good!

There's nothing I can say here that Jenna hasn't already, and it's been far too long since I've seen this so there will have to be an extended Flick Chicks plus bridesmaids movie night where we can watch it together!



 



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Allie! Great idea to make it movie related, Jenna. What a fun read this is. Not my favorite flick, but there are some truly hilarious bits, including the infamous fitting scene. And yeah, McCarthy is amazing. It's still her best work, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think this film is truly The Hangover for us ladies :D
      - Allie

      Delete