Saturday 13 September 2014

Review: Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

This is the second film we saw in Los Angeles, mostly because there was nothing else on.  I kind of wish we'd stayed at home or got drunk instead if I'm brutally honest!!  I really enjoyed the very first Transformers films, but it all went downhill from there.  I had high hopes for Dark Side of the Moon because the idea for the story was really clever and then the rest of the film happened and I was disappointed, again!

I've only seen the first two Transformer films, and I was genuinely going to see this at the cinema, but then the reviews started to come in...I think I may have actually stayed home and got drunk instead ha!



Transformers: Age of Extinction is like a whole new trilogy as it's a whole new set of characters.  It follows down and out Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg) as he buys a junk truck to the annoyance of his daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz) who is in desperate need for money for college.  The truck however, turns out to be Optimus Prime in hiding from the CIA unit that are trying to destroy all Autobots.

This could have been a great film, but it's not.  The dialogue is painfully cheesy and awkward, the storyline is weak and questionable at best.  I didn't like the characters (as much as I like Mark Wahlberg), I was bored with the story and the actions scenes moved so quickly that you had no idea what was going on (and I didn't even watch it in 3D!)

I'm all up for mindless giant robot action scenes (hello there Pacific Rim!) but I don't think even I could bring myself to see this now...
The only thing I actually enjoyed about this was Stanley Tucci, who throughout the film goes from high powered, 'don't question me' executive to blithering, apologetic world saver in a matter of minutes, the downside is that it is a lot of minutes.  The film went on forever, it felt so long.  Everytime I thought it was over, there was another actions sequence that I had no idea what was going on. 
If I'm honest, I preferred the Witwicky's to the Yeager's (If only in the original movie), I felt like there were more real, the parents always had me in stitches, when they have a 50ft robot in their garden and they are worried about the flower beds! 
Bonus scene, Optimus Prime wielding a giant sword and riding a transformer dinosaur, only but that made me smile! Dude, Optimus Prime would look awesome no matter what he did! 
Honestly, don't bother.

I'll take your word on this one.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, 3/10 is generous ;) Great review Jenna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was in a good mood that day, today it could have been a 1/10 (I'm hungover!!) ha!

      Jenna

      Delete
  2. I had some hope for this movie to be decent (not high hopes, but hope), especially with Wahlberg in it. Needless to say, I was very let down. I agree that Tucci was one of the best parts of this film. He was the only one who really added any humor. The CGI was probably some of the best I have seen in some time, too. Great review, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I did foolishly hope, the issue I have with the CGI is that they have amazing opportunities to make these incredible scenes and they just throw soo much at it at one time that you can't work out which way is up or what the bejesus is happening in half of the action scenes!! Thanks for the comment, glad to know I'm not the only one that was disappointed.

      Jenna

      Delete