Monday 8 September 2014

Review: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

I had to check with Allie because I couldn't believe we hadn't reviewed Thor 2 when we both thought it was great.  So here it is:


Thor: The Dark World follows on from the events of Thor and Avengers Assemble, with Jane Foster on Earth and Thor back in Asgard preparing to take over the throne from his father.  However, on yet another one woman mission, Jane gets 'infected' by the one thing that can destroy the nine realms and has to be taken to Asgard to be saved and of course help to save the world and the nine realms. I hate it when that happens...one minute I'm shoe shopping, and the next, a planet of aliens is trying to destroy my home world. Such a nuisance!




Is it just me, or was there no real need for Natalie Portman's Jane in this movie?  Don't get me wrong as a romance fan, I like the idea that you get to see the development of her relationship with Thor, however I feel like the story had to be forced to include her character, when not really necessary.  This does not take anything away from the movie, which for me was great. 

That never occured to me actually but you have a point. On the whole romance thing I would have loved a Thor-Jane-Sif love triangle! 

I still love Chris Hemsworth as I did in the first film (mostly for his biceps) and his response to being on Earth (cracking scene with a coat rack - although I have read good points about this, in that the coat rack surely should have been ripped off the wall by the weight of the hammer) always makes me laugh.



As a sequel, I was all ready to be disappointed (as I usually am with sequels) and I wasn't even close and there is only one reason for this..... Loki!! Without saying a word, he stole every scene he was in with his witty one liners, genius facial expressions and brilliant timing he just made this film for me.  One word ... TA-DA!!! I think that's two. I put a dash in it to make it one ;-)

Somehow I just knew that the sequel would be better than the first. I really loved the first too - it's the first film I saw at the cinema twice in years. In The Dark World, it just feels like more is at risk, and the world is in greater danger than before, which makes all the action that little bit better.




The first half of the film was a little bit slow and I was a bit worried for a minute but as soon as Loki made his appearance and they were on their brotherly mission, all became well again. I still love Darcy played by Kat Dennings and her sarcasm and general normalcy in a film made up of Gods, elves and alternate realms.  

Tom Hiddleston was just born to play Loki, I couldn't image anyone who would be able to equal him in the role, let alone do it better. His chemistry with Chris Hemsworth is fantastic, and he just steals every scene he's in. In fact, Loki is so amazing that I named one of my cats after him. It doesn't get much better than that, folks.

A sequel that can live up to it's predecessor, should be watched for that reason alone.  This was a 7 but Loki makes it a solid 9!






8 comments:

  1. Fun review, ladies. I enjoyed this as well and you're right Hiddleston stole the whole movie as Loki. Wasn't feeling anything about the Thor/Jane relationship. They have no chemistry and yes, the whole thing is forced. Still had a good time overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D Hiddleston is just the perfect Loki - do you think he'll ever get his own movie? I'd be first in line!
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, Loki: The Movie AMAZING!!! :-)

      - Jenna

      Delete
  2. Fun reviews, girls! Ha..ha.. Loki makes everything better doesn't he? I thought this movie was so goofy I thought it was an all-out comedy a la Naked Gun or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D He really does! You just can't beat a bit of goof from Marvel though.
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Nice review. Glad to hear you both enjoyed this one, as this generally wasn't all that well received in a lot of circles. But I loved this one, even better than the first. And nice to see a couple more fans of Loki! Tom Hiddleston's great, ain't he? BD (And on that note, have either of you seen Only Lovers Left Alive yet? Must watch if you're a fan of Hiddleston. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Nice to see some love for the film, and Loki too! Feeling quite scared at the moment because I'm literally typing out my review for Only Lovers Left Alive right now, what did you think of it? I loved it, completely different to anything I've watched before :)
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. I thought the movie was simply sublime, and the first half especially was absolutely mesmerizing. Certainly one of the best movies I've seen this year so far. Looking forward to your review of it. :)

      Delete