Sunday 21 September 2014

Back to School Blogathon

Wendell over at Dell on Movies has come up with an AWESOME Blogathon idea - Back to School.  Well I couldn't wait to get stuck in and come up with some ideas.  Some of the categories turned out to be more difficult than I thought so it took a bit longer than expected!

http://dellonmovies.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/back-to-school-blogathon.html


As always, a good Blogathon comes with a set of rules, here they are:

Bloggers, you are tasked with creating your very own movie class using characters from as many different films as you wish (almost). We will also include someone to run the school and someone to run the class. The rules are as follows:

1. Choose at least 1 character to fit into each of the following roles:

Administrator (either a dean, principal, head master, or some other equivalent)
Teacher
Star Student/Nerd
Jock/Class Bully
Popular Girl/Diva
Invisible Girl (aka not popular girl)
Class Clown
Troubled Youth

Of course, include a few words on why each character was chosen.

Some of the categories have slashes because there is a lot of overlap within. However, feel free to break those up to make your class even larger. For instance if you use a jock who is a nice guy, you can also include a bully. As long as you have the minimum number of students and others, your class can be as large as you like.

2. There are NO RESTRICTIONS on age. Theoretically, you can have Zach from Kindegarten Cop in the same class as Rodney Dangerfield's character from...um...Back to School

3. You can use multiple characters from a single movie, but a class must be made up of characters from at least three separate movies.

4. Use movies in which school is an important part of the plot or are largely set in a school.

5. Finally, use my banner somewhere in your entry and link back to this post.

 Administrator

Mr Gilbert from The Inbetweeners Movie (this is a bit of a cheat really because you really get to know the character in the series and he is only in the movie briefly but hey ho!!).   I love this guy, he has such a dry humour and when he send the students off into the real world his parting words are: "Good luck with the rest of your lives...and try not to kill anyone"

Teacher

Would Dewey Finn not make the best teacher EVER, no actual work, no homework just playing music all day everyday.

Best quote: "Ok. This is a bass guitar. And it's the exact same thing but instead of playing it like this you tip it on the side... cello, you got a bass."

Nerd

McLovin (or Fogell) from the movie Superbad is the ultimate nerd, he gets a fake ID (from Hawaii of all places) with the name McLovin on it!! Amazing!

Best Quote: Fogell: "Naw, they let you pick any name you want when you get down there"  Seth: "and you landed on McLovin..."

Star Student


Mike Wazowski in Monsters University may not have actually been the star student next to Sulley BUT he was the hardest worker, he had the least natural scare ability and he studied and worked so hard to be the best.  I loved this prequel, how it showed Mike learning that his greatest skill was in leading rather than scaring.

Jock


This might be a shock to some people but he is by far my favourite jock, he is forever on the track training always looking to improve and he doesn't give up his sport even when everything in his life becomes chaos - truly committed jock.

Best quote: "Like I'd marry you!  You'd be the meanest wife ever, okay? And I know that you weren't bored that day because there was a lot of stuff on TV, and then The Blair Witch Project was coming on Starz and you were like 'I haven't seen this since it came out and if so we should watch it' and then 'but oh, no, we should just make out instead la la la'"

Class Bully

The original and the ultimate bully, Biff Tannen from Back to the Future.  Made George McFly's life hell and proceeded to attempt to do the same to Calvin Klein (or as he is better know Marty McFly!).  As with all class bully's he gets put in his place numerous times, the best being with a manure truck!!

Best Quote: "Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?"

Popular Girl

This literally could not have been anyone else, she is the ultimate popular girl with her Beverly Hills zip code and her Daddy's platinum card.  She has the money and power to do whatever she wants (but still gets overthrown by her 'mini-me project' Tai.  She was the girl in the 90's that every teenage girl wanted to be, I personally wanted her wardrobe!!

Best quote: "This is where Dionne lives.  She's my friend because we both know what it's like for people to be jealous of us"

Diva

This was tie between putting Regina George from Mean Girls into Diva or Bully (but Biff didn't fit the Diva category!).  She is mean and demands that everything is done the way she wants it, her friends follow her like sheep and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Best quote: "She's so pathetic. Let me tell you something about Janis Ian. We were best friends in middle school. I know, right? It's so embarrassing. I don't even... Whatever. So then in eighth grade, I started going out with my first boyfriend Kyle who was totally gorgeous but then he moved to Indiana, and Janis was like, weirdly jealous of him. Like, if I would blow her off to hang out with Kyle, she'd be like, "Why didn't you call me back?" And I'd be like, "Why are you so obsessed with me?" So then, for my birthday party, which was an all-girls pool party, I was like, "Janis, I can't invite you, because I think you're lesbian." I mean I couldn't have a lesbian at my party. There were gonna be girls there in their *bathing suits*. I mean, right? She was a LESBIAN. So then her mom called my mom and started yelling at her, it was so retarded. And then she dropped out of school because no one would talk to her, and she came back in the fall for high school, all of her hair was cut off and she was totally weird, and now I guess she's on crack."

Invisible Girl/Boy


I went with Peter Parker from The Amazing Spiderman, before he becomes Spiderman and gained his new found confidence, no one really noticed him.  I probably could have found someone that was invisible throughout the whole film but I LOVE Andrew Garfield and I LOVE Spiderman so here it is.

Best quote:  "Um so, uh, you want to, uh... I don't know....I don't know. Just, uh... Um... I don't know, we could, I don't know, we could uh... Or we could do something else, or we could, with no... We, like, we could"

Class Clown


As a kid I loved this film and the more I watch it as an adult the more terrible it becomes, BUT Billy Madison played by Adam Sandler in the film of the same name is a great class clown.  He goes through all the school years in a year and gets more ridiculous as the grades go on...

Best quote: "Of course I peed my pants, everyone my age pees their pants.  It's the coolest."

Troubled Youth


If any character in any film was considered a 'troubled youth' its Mindy Macready AKA Hit Girl, who was raised by her father Big Daddy to be a hired killer.  She doesn't appear to believe she is troubled but she is an 11 year old serial killer, i would call that pretty troubled.  This quote says it all:

Mindy Macready:  "Can I get a puppy?"
Damon Macready: "You wanna get a dog?"
Mindy Macready:  "Yeah, a cuddly fluffy one, and a Bratz movie-star make over Sasha!"
Mindy Macready: "I'm just fucking with you Daddy! Look, I'd love a Benchmade model 42 butterfly knife."

So that's the Flick Chicks class.  Thanks again Wendell for coming up with this, I've had a great time coming up with my class. 

15 comments:

  1. Nice! Really love your picks for Jock and Star Student. I certainly wasn't expecting either of those. Almost went with Peter Parker for nerd, but the Tobey Maguire version. Thanks for getting in on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it Peter Parker was probably more of a nerd than invisible but I struggled with this one and he was the only person I could come up with. However, I've just watched Breakfast Club for the first time and wish I had seen it before this because I definitely would have gone for Allison Reynolds.

      - Jenna

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty good class. I was always a bit worried about Biff Tannem because I thought he would be too obvious a choice for the bully. I was never really fond of what I did see of Billy Madison (I'm not a huge fan of Adam Sandler's "winy immature adult that somehow gets a super-hot girlfriend by the end" characters) but I can certainly see why he would make an interesting class clown.

    Also, a nice touch to pick for the troubled youth someone who actually has extreme mental issues, and it is interesting to see a non-human character getting picked (a bit jarring but I don't think the rules ever said your choices had to be human).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose Biff because he was so obvious, if i think of a school bully i automatically think of Biff.

      It didn't even occur to me that i might not be able to use non-human characters when I thought of him.

      - Jenna

      Delete
  3. Great list ladies, I love who you came up with for star student and troubled youth. I didn't even consider Mindy/Hit Girl from Kick Ass for the role of a troubled youth but that definitely works. I almost went with Peter Parker (Tobey MaGuire) from Spiderman for the nerd category, he wanted to be popular so I wouldn't classify him as invisible but I can also see how you thought he was a loner so good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. She was seriously troubled and didn't even realise it, I think that's why I thought it would be an interesting choice.

      I think I mentioned above that he probably was better for Nerd but i couldn't think of anyone for Invisible and I really wanted him in there :-)

      - Jenna

      Delete
  4. Awesome list! And great call on Bleeker. I would never had thought of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittani.

      Bleeker was a great character, i had to get him in there somewhere ;-)

      - Jenna

      Delete
  5. This is my favourite one yet! I can't believe I didn't think of Hit-Girl or Mike Wakowski. Great work ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I really enjoyed putting it together.

      - Jenna

      Delete
  6. Great list! I agree with Brittani about Bleeker. I'm not a fan of Chloe Moretz but I did like Hit Girl, she's quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)

      Hit Girl scared the bejesus out of me to be fair but she clearly had some serious mental issues, not helped by 'Big Daddy'

      - Jenna

      Delete
  7. Love your choice as Administrator. The TV show is so funny, but his speech in the beginning of the film means he is allowed for sure. I guess I still see Jock as connecting to American Football, but some very creative outside the box thinking :) Great how you got Mikey in. McLovin is especially brilliant. We both chose Biff (high-5).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I tried to think a little outside the box but not too far ha! Mr Gilbert is also in the deleted scenes if you have ever seen them, riding a quad bike in his underwear with a tie round his head!! Biff is the ultimate bully, I couldn't have chosen anyone else!!

      - Jenna

      Delete
    2. You had quite a few choices no one else thought of. Nice one.

      Delete