Thursday 26 June 2014

Thursday's Thought: TV Show Finales

It's going to get messy soon if I don't stop thinking about things too much!


I was away last weekend for my Mum's 40th Birthday, so not only was I without TV and Twitter, I was also away for the finale of Fargo! Spoilers ahead...

If you follow us on Twitter, you'll know how much I've been enjoying the Fargo TV Show. I wasn't sure what to think at first but it just gripped me out of nowhere, and I've found myself more excited about it than Game of Thrones. I got round to watching it on Monday afternoon, literally just as we got home. I said on Twitter that I wasn't sure what I thought about it, and I guess I still don't know.


Of course, I always knew it could only end one of two ways really. Lester was either going to go down for his crime(s?), or he wouldn't live to tell the tale, so I'm not going to whine about how it didn't end happily for him. To be honest, after episode 9, I didn't want it to!

What I wasn't expecting was for my homeboy Gus Grimly to be a total badass and save the day, and for Lester to just...well, die. I don't know, maybe there's something symbolic there. In fact, I'm sure there is. Someone clever is going to have summarised it all into a 5,000 word essay and it'll all be much clearer I'll bet. 

Yes, you really have Gus 
Yes Gus, you really have, but you're a little sweetheart so I forgive you.

My main point though here is, is anyone ever 100% happy when one of their favourite TV Show ends? Especially long running shows. I pretty much grow up watching Friends, and although I never wanted it to end, I felt like they did it justice. Sure, there were things I would have liked to change, but on the whole, it was good.

I saw a few weeks ago nearly the whole internet raging over the finale of How I Met Your Mother. I haven't seen it yet, I don't actually think it's finished here in the UK, but I read how it ended. And again, I have mixed feelings. I'm glad that it took a turn, because really, who would have been satisfied with a candy floss ending? The whole Robyn thing though? I'm still not sure.

Going back to Fargo though, it was an amazing TV Show and I'm so glad I watched it. I really hope it picks up a few awards when the season comes round, because it deserves it.

What about you guys though? Have there been any TV Show finales that really let you down? Or even, have there been any that actually, you thought were perfect? I'd really love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment