Sunday 8 June 2014

Review: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)

Thursday night was our first Flick Chicks night out, and what an awesome one at that! After wolfing down a Nandos in record time, we went to see A Million Ways to Die in the West at Jenna's local Cineworld. I practically skipped into the screen; I was really looking forward to it! I've watched Ted too many times to count so I had high hopes for this.  I have realised that I need to watch Ted again after Allie mentioned someone who was in it and I don't remember seeing them AT ALL!! Think that might be a SkyGo job for my next flight!


Albert (Seth McFarlane) is a cowardly sheep farmer who gets dumped by his girlfriend Louise (Amanda Seyfried). She hooks up with the local douchebag Foy (Neil Patrick Harris), and Albert is determined to win her back. He meets Anna (Charlize Theron), who just so happens to be the wife of the toughest guy around, Clinch Leatherwood (Liam Neeson), although he doesn't realise that. That's really all you need to know, I'm sure you can guess the rest!

Me and Jenna were in a bit of a giggly mood when we saw this, I guess it must be a side effect of scoffing a huge plate of Nandos! I laughed plenty throughout this film, even laughed quite loud at some parts. Admittedly, some jokes were a bit drawn out and started off as funny, but should have ended sooner. I'm thinking of the hat scene in particular which will make sense if you've seen this.  I had, what can only be described as, a fit of hysteria at the 'drunk and horse' scene where I couldn't catch my breath for a good five minutes and my glasses steamed up from the tears!!  Fully agree, the hat scene pushed into 'spoof movie' instead of comedy which wasn't great but didn't ruin the film for me at all.

I was mostly looking forward to the cameos. I'd heard that there were some great names and I've been making the biggest effort to steer clear from IMDB before I saw this so I wouldn't ruin it for myself. They were awesome! Some quite hard to spot because of everyone's moustaches, and one in particular literally made me do this:



This was her face exactly, I wish I could explain why but if you know Allie at all and you have seen this movie, you can probably guess which cameo did this to her!!

This was nearly everything I expected it to be. The humour wasn't as good as Ted, but some of the cameos were better, Neil Patrick Harris showing his 'inner Barney' was a massive highlight for me, and the moustache song in particular needs to get onto my iTunes fast. Sadly I can't find a YouTube clip of it anywhere, but I'll keep searching! LOVED the Moustache song, as I type I am singing it in my head!!

This film had one of my favourite cameos EVER (although not beating the Zombieland one which I just did not see coming) I won't say who it was but if you know me and you see this film, you'll know!!  I couldn't help but love this film at many points throughout, I kept thinking 'I shouldn't love this, this will end up on my guilty pleasures list with the likes of Pearl Harbour and Armageddon.'  The funny bits had me in hysterics meaning I wasn't even paying attention to the rest as I was still laughing from the last thing that happened!!  I have to agree with some of the critics, Seth MacFarlane did let this down, he seemed very stiff and awkward when delivering the lines that were obviously scripted and too casual and 'stand up comedian waiting for applause' in the parts where he was clearly adlibbing.  The contrast between the two was so obvious, I noticed every time it changed.

If you liked Ted, there's no reason why you wouldn't like this, but if Ted wasn't really your thing, then steer clear!

Still found this hilarious and as Allie said will recommend to anyone who laughed at Ted.  Definite 'buy full price DVD' contender.

No comments:

Post a Comment