Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Slasher Cast-a-Thon

Oh, wow. I know I say this every time, but this might be my favourite Blogathan yet. The ever-creative Dell at Dell on Movies has masterfully put together a fun Blogathon for us to take part in this October, cleverly named the Slasher Cast-a-Thon.  I am sooo excited about this, I can't even tell you!!


Here are the rules:

1. Our slasher is already cast for us. He is the most evil, sadistic, brutal person you could possibly imagine. Let's just leave it at that.
2. Pick anywhere from 6 to 12 movie characters whom you would like to see murdered for one reason, or another. Maybe it was that annoying sidekick in a comedy, or the person who lost the wedding ring in your favorite rom-com. For each person you pick, explain why you'd like to see them killed. However, there are some caveats.

A. The character cannot be from a horror movie.

B. The character must NOT have died in whatever movie they were in.

C. The character cannot be the main antagonist (villain) of their movie. That would be too easy, we're supposed to hate them.
3. Pick one movie character as your "Final Girl," or the person who will survive and slay our slasher. Though I would prefer it to be a female, in keeping with genre norms, it doesn't necessarily have to be. In any event, explain why you chose this person. Tell us what makes them survivor material. There are some restrictions on this person, as well.
A. The character cannot be from a horror movie.
B. The character must NOT have or be implied to have sex during their movie. (Remember that stuff about the virginal heroine, right?)
C. The character cannot have killed or implied to have killed someone during her movie.
4. Include a link to this post.


OK so it seems this cast-a-thon was a lot harder than I first thought it would be.  Me and Allie decided to work on it during our last movie night and even with two heads over one we still struggled.  There are probably thousands of characters out there we could use, its just remembering them!

Anyway, this is what we came up with:

Annie/Jay (Cameron Diaz/Jason Segal) - Sex Tape (2014)
This is as simple as they deserve to die because they are so damn stupid.  They made this huge debacle out of getting the iPads back when they could have said, "could we borrow your iPad as we sent something to it by mistake" Done! - Slightly shorter film mind!  Basically, they would be the characters in the movie that would make the stupid decision that would get them killed (think Tatum 'doesn't fit through a cat flap' from Scream or any character that thinks going upstairs is a good idea.  You get the idea!

Connor Mead (Matthew McConaughey) - Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)
So, Connor Mead is this good-looking, smooth-talking ladies man, and every woman who sees him wants to sleep with him. Err, not me, thanks. In fact Connor, you're so irritating and full of self importance, that you're going to die in this made-up slasher film you now find youself in. You won't even see it coming.

Lex Murphy (Ariana Richards) - Jurassic Park (1993)
This girl only survived Jurassic Park because people had to keep dragging her out of danger but throughout she was ridiculously irritating.  To the point that I feel ANY serial killer would take her out just to stop her freaking out!!

Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox) - Transformers (2007)
I could have picked several (any) of Megan Fox's characters, because she winds me up for countless reasons. I can't even bring myself to watch the new Turtles movie thanks to her. I picked Mikaela from Transformers for this post, in the hope that an AWOL transformer might actually kill her.

Claudia (Aubrey Peeples) - Sharknado (2013)
Solely because she SHOULD have died in this movie and didn't.  She was a miserable mean cow who smiled when she thought her brother was going to die, issues much!  I'm not too fussed on how she would die but a flying shark wouldn't hurt...

Portia Nathan (Tina Fey) - Admission (2013)
This lady is so heartless that she won't even mind that I've included her in this list. She's presented with her long-lost adopted son, and keeps a straight poker face. Honestly, woman! Let's hope in our little make believe slasher movie her son turns out to be the bad guy and takes her out.

Surviver
Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) - Mean Girls (2004)
If she can survive Regina George and the Plastics then surely she can survive ANYTHING!  She also grew up in the African bush jungle where it is survival of the fittest and not only that, she survived public high school with the ultimate bullies.  Although, I don't think it's officially stated that she is virgin but growing up in the bush I think it can be assumed.  Cady would survive our slasher flick.
 
Dell, this has been one of the hardest but most fun blogathons we've ever taken part in, and we really hope you do something like this again next year. That gives us a whole year to put a longer list together!

7 comments:

  1. Some great choices here, ladies. Love the Connor Meade, Portia Nathan, and Mikaela Barnes picks the most. It would be funny if the.killer were Portia's son. Lol on Lex Murphy. Everybody hates on her. Thanks so much for taking part. I just might do it again next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dell, it's been one of the hardest posts we've ever collaborated on, but we had so much fun doing it!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Finally! I was wondering if anyone else was going to contribute to this thing. I was starting to think I was the only one (aside from Wendell himself anyway).

    That's quite the list. I guess I can see where most of them fit in. It's also interesting that you went the route of a predominantly female cast, since often these kinds of films have a larger number of guys, which also takes in a different direction from mine (where I subverted the standard slasher formula by writing an all-male cast).

    Incidentally, I did start a last-minute blogathon of my own that was inspired by the Slasher Cast-A-Thon. This one covers a different type of horror and there isn't much time left to join in, but so far I've only had two entries (three if you include my own) and it would be nice to get one or two more before it ends:

    http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2014/10/announcing-cosmic-horror-cast-thon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a really tough one! I drafted up our post the day Dell announced it, but it's taken us ages to think of the characters to include :)
      I must have missed your blogathon but I'll take a look now!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Great choices! I have to 100% agree on Mikaela Barnes being on this list. I'd even add Rosie Huntington-Whiteley as well - she was equally annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh great idea! It's been harder than we thought to put this list together :)
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. I can confirm I would add April O'Neill from TMNT now as well - just because its Megan Fox!! Gah!
      - Jenna

      Delete