Tuesday 28 October 2014

Review: 22 Jump Street (2014)

Sun's out, guns out! You just can't beat a good summer comedy sometimes, and they're great Orange Wednesday films. I really loved 21 Jump Street, I know I've said before but I think I picked up the DVD when it was cheap, not really knowing what it was, and just fell in love. There's always a lot of pressure on sequels though!

 
You know what the deal is, Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) have already gone undercover in High School for a drugs bust, and now Jump Street has moved across the road to 22 and Schmidt and Jenko need to go undercover in college for another drugs bust. The film follows the Muppets in pointing out that the sequel is never as good as the first, although Jump Street is a little more subtle!
 

This film was everything I wanted it to be. The laughs were there, and even though the storyline was pretty much exactly the same as the first, it still felt fresh. The comedy was spot on, and didn't fall into the spoof trap that other films have. I'm now wondering where I can find one of these tops, but I don't think it's the same really! I'll have to get one for the other half instead... Or you could get to the gym and get some GUNS!!

 
My only real whinge about 22 Jump Street is that the bromance was a bit overdone. I love a good bromance as much as the next girl, especially a bromance with Channing Tatum, but it did start to get a little old as the film went on. I really liked the bromance jokes, when they were acting like a couple breaking up, I was in bits. 
 
I really enjoyed this, which I didn't expect to being a comedy sequel.  As Allie said the story was pretty much the same but they basically take the piss out of that themselves at some points throughout the movie.  I loved the car chase "I mean it looks cool...but it's just so wasteful" had me in stitches (maybe I was just in the mood to laugh when I watched it!).  The gags are painfully crude and grim for the most part but Hill and Tatum's chemistry makes it watchable and actually funny.  Better still is Ice Cube whose anger takes over every scene he is in.
 
You'll understand what I mean if/when you've seen it, but my favourite part of this film was the credits. That sounds harsh, doesn't it? But trust me! Best. Credits. Ever. Couple of cameos thrown in too for good measure. 
 
The film felt a little bit too long, they could have easily cut 20 minutes out without ruining it but if that's the only real issue then its not too bad all in all.  Fully agree, the credits were the best part of the whole film without a doubt, absolutely brilliant!

I think this is the end of the line now for the Jump Street films, but I've fallen a little in love with Channing Tatum and I can't wait to see some of his other films.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. Definitely an enjoyable sequel, and yeah, that line in the car chase slayed me as well. Some hilarious stuff here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I think about it, the more I loved this movie. The car chase, the college campus setting - hilarious stuff. But the real winner was that scene where Jenko finds out about Schmidt and the Captains daughter - oh man, that had me rolling in my seat.

    ReplyDelete