Sunday 19 October 2014

Review: Forrest Gump (1994)

This is one of my all time favourite films and in the IMDB Top 250 movies that we are determined to watch and review so I thought it was about time that I reviewed it.  I've seen it almost as many times as I have seen The Goonies (and that's saying something) and it never gets old.  I have also seen a fair few set pieces, locations and props from the films in my various trips to the US.



Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) is not a smart man but he's happy and plods through life with his main purpose of living happily ever after with the love of his life, Jenny (Robin Wright).  While waiting at a bus stop for a bus to take him to see her, he tells various people about the things he has done in his life.  It turns out he has been present at numerous historic events and it also pretty famous himself.


This story is so different from anything I had seen or have seen since.  Forrest is played incredibly by Tom Hanks (I still think his best role to date) as a simple but lovable mommas boy who only wants his fairytale ending.  I have read bits and pieces about the political stance of this film, but I have to think those people are overthinking the whole movie.  It's supposed to be easy to watch not broken down at every step to identify political agendas, that would ruin the movie for anyone.  Robert Zemeckis does an amazing job putting Forrest 'into' real life American historical events, my favourite being him showing President Nixon his "butt-ocks".

I think Forrest Gump is one of those movies that everyone should see at least once. I first watched it when I was young, and admittedly forgot most of it, but when I hear a friend tell me they've never seen it I've sat them down with me and made them see it, and so I've seen it a fair few times as a result!



Gump sees everything in a positive way and that is reflected in the film, meeting numerous people who he should be awestruck by, he just chats away to them like he met them at a bus stop.  He see's people for people not for their status or achievements.  This is one of those films that is so hard to put into words, you have to see it for yourself to understand the brilliance and the magic of it.


Quotes in this film are still used in passing conversations with me and my friends (particularly 'Life is like a box of chocolates...' and 'Stupid is as stupid does') and if I see a Bubba Gump Shrimp company when I go to the States its the first place I eat (even though I am allergic to Shrimp haha!). 

Every time I watch Forrest Gump I really enjoy it, but then I forget so much of it, and I don't know why! It's almost like my mind does it deliberately so I have to see it again.

If you haven't seen this film- where have you been? living under a rock?! See it NOW!! 






P.S...

...If I spot anything that might be Forrest Gump related the camera is out and I'm on it, I hope you don't mind but here are a few tidbits from various FG related places:

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
Universal Citywalk, Orlando Florida

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
Victoria Peak, Hong Kong
Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
Fishermans Wharf, San Francisco

Jenny - Downtown Disney, Orlando, Florida
Santa Monica Pier - This is the pier that Forrest run to the
end of then turns around and runs back! (that's my Dad!)
I was told this was the actual bench from the movie
Paramount Studios, Los Angeles, California


However, I have since been told the original is in
Savannah so who knows!

The cap and trainers used by Tom Hanks
during the running scenes.
Paramount Studios, LA

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. Love the pics. Love the review also. Such a wonderful movie. Like you both, I'm a total sucker for it and it's one of my faces, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as you can probably tell, i'm a little bit obsessed. Glad you enjoy it as much :-) I want to watch it again now!!
      - Jenna

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review, like you this is one of my favorites of all time as well. Its got a bit of everything; comedy, drama, action, and I've even had someone tell me there were horror bits in it but I think that can be argued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike :) I really do think it's a film that everyone should see at least once in their lives :)
      - Allie

      Delete