Tuesday 10 June 2014

Currently Watching....Once Upon a Time (Jenna)

Men at Work finished and left me with a great big comedy shaped hole in my life.  After searching to find something to live up to it in the comedy stakes, I gave up and headed for something that might live up to it in the entertainment stakes.  Boy did I pick a winner.  I love this show, it took a bit of getting into but after the first 3 episodes I was hooked (pun intended!).


The storylines throughout this are surprisingly unique and new (considering it's all based around fairy tales) but the familiarity of the characters keeps to wanted to watch.  Finding out someone you instinctively thought was good is bad and vice versa keeps it interesting and regularly throws you a curve ball that you're not expecting (hence my love for Captain Hook, not what I was expected after a childhood of watching Peter Pan and Hook!)

There is romance, treachery, long lost loves, sword fights and secrets and every episode is action packed.  It comes across a bit cheesy at times but sometimes that's what I love about it because it still has the underlying feel of a fairy tale where spells can be broken with true loves kiss and magic beans can help you travel between realms.  However, there are also serious issues broached throughout from adoption to heartbreak and loss (I won't go into details, don't want to drop any spoilers). 

There are so many characters throughout the show at any one time, you always have someone to root for and someone hate in every episode and it's always different.  One of the characters that provides a huge range of opinions is Mr Gold AKA Rumpelstiltskin played by Robert Carlyle astonishingly well, particularly in the scenes in the past where he is Rumpelstiltskin by look as well as heart.  He makes you love him and hate him at the same time - quite a feat for one actor playing two roles, both of which have a good and a bad, complex to say the least! Here's a taste of it (with a bit of Hook for good measure):


If you haven't seen this yet, give it a try and decide for yourself.

Pretty soon I'm going to have a large TV Show shaped hole in my life; two shows I watch each week have had their season finales and a third will have theirs in the next couple of weeks, so I'm seriously thinking about giving this a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment