Saturday 13 December 2014

The Top 5 Best Films of 2014

Okay, so after whinging about the worst films we've seen this year, it's probably about time that we spread some cheer and talk about our favourite films of the year. Like Jenna said in our last post, there's a scary amount of films I've missed this year and I'll be spending Christmas and the New Year catching up, and obviously we aren't quite done with 2014 yet, but here's our Top 5 Best Films of 2014 (that we've actually seen!)

Locke (2014)



I've harped on a lot about Locke this year I know, and it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was so different to anything else I'd seen before that it absolutely has to make this list for me. I get fidgety in the cinema, and so to be able to sit completely still for a film essentially about a man driving from Birmingham to London is a wonder in itself!

Gone Girl (2014)


Now for more of a mainstream choice. I'm so glad I saw Gone Girl at the cinema, and the audience's reaction as the credits roll will remain as one of my favourite experiences, it was just fantastic! A mixed of gasps, confusion, and then shocked laughter, followed by everyone leaving in a bit of a daze. This one played on my mind for days, and the book is on my kindle now waiting for me to finish Brent Weeks' latest novel.

Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)


Many of you won't agree with this choice, but you have to understand that Horrible Bosses is my favourite comedy film. I was expecting to be let down by the sequel but I just loved it. Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day have so much chemistry that I'd find anything they did funny. Let's not forget the amazing supporting cast too! Since when did Jason Sudeikis get so cute too? Our review of this is coming soon.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)



I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy when I saw it in the cinema this summer, but I wasn't blown away. It was only when I started telling people about the film that it seemed to grow on me more and more, and now I realise that it was actually a pretty awesome film. I'm looking forward to watching it again over Christmas, and I hope to get a Groot Pop! figure soon.

The Imitation Game (2014)



I haven't yet been able to put my thoughts on The Imitation Game into words, I'm still fairly speechless. I'm clueless when it comes to History, especially war. I know it's a serious topic but I actually walked into this film blind, because I didn't know how it would even end! I'm biased and blind of course when it comes to Benedict Cumberbatch, but I really enjoyed this film. It was engaging, it was interesting, and it was heartbreaking all at the same time.

There are so many other films that should be in this list, but I'm shocked at how many I've missed this year. I imagine Nightcrawler and The Hobbit would be in here too, but I haven't seen them yet.

Disclaimer: After looking through movies released in 2014 and am embarrassed at the shear number that I have missed.  Therefore, my list is based on what I have seen not what was released.

How to Train your Dragon 2 (2014)


What a film, the graphics, the story, the fact that the characters aged from the first one.  No sequel let down here, just as good as the first if not better!

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)


Unlike Allie, it didn't take time for me to realise I loved this film.  I grinned from ear to ear throughout the whole thing in the cinema, I didn't fidget or move through the whole thing I was that engrossed.  I am hoping my Dad has brought this for me for Christmas but I might be disappointed as my Dad doesn't respond well to hints, in fact he misses them entirely.

Fault in our Stars (2014)


I feel like I might be alone with the one but I loved the film and I think it stuck to the book really well and didn't just change it to suit.  The way they included the texts by popping up on screen was really clever.  I laughed, I cried, I can't wait to watch it again.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)


This was brilliant, the effects used with the apes was incredible and story was well put together as well.  Sometimes, films with such large CGI presence tend to lose sight of the story (think the last 2 Matrix movies) but this had both.  I want to have a marathon and watch Rise and Dawn back to back next :-)

Life After Beth (2014)


There is a review coming soon for this which goes into more detail but I thought this was really great, it was comical, scary in places and the dialogue was sharp and witty.  The acting from Dane Dehaan was great, he has a real presence that I hadn't noticed in his previous supporting roles. 

As Allie said, there has to be a mention for The Hobbit, I am certain I will love it but haven't yet seen it.

What was your best movie of 2014?

20 comments:

  1. HTTYD2! Gone Girl! Guardians! I love all of those. Life After Beth is great too. I've already started writing my best list, but I still have some left to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your list! I'm really saddened by the amount of great films I've missed this year, I need to catch up!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Still plenty to be seen for me, but, so far, my favorite movie of the year is Birdman, followed closely by Gone Girl. I honestly found Horrible Bosses 2 as hilarious as the first, but I just found it so unnecessary. I really need to see The Imitation Game. It's still not around here, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Birdman comes out until January for us, but I really can't wait to see it. Foxcatcher too! The Imitation Game is a must watch :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. I'm way behind on 2014 flicks. I've only seen two if the movies mentioned in this post - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes & The Fault in Our Stars. I loved Apes, was disappointed with Stars. Great stuff, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad we aren't the only ones who are behind! I haven't even seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Gone Girl definitely makes my top movies of the year, but there's still a lot more to watch! Locke would have made my list too if it wasn't released on 2013 (The basis of my list is the actual release year, not the wide release one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I didn't realise how long we were made to wait for Locke in the UK, it didn't come out until April for us!
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Cool choices. "Gone Girl" and "DOTPA" are currently high on my list too. I still have lots to catch up on though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that everyone else is behind! There are so many other films that should be on my list, but I just haven't got round to seeing them yet.
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Great list ladies! :) Quite similar in some ways to my list too (coming soon!), especially with Guardians and The Imitation Game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see your list :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Nice lists here. Glad to see the double Guardians love. ;) Also real cool to see Locke get a mention, really enjoyed that one. We've yet to get The Imitation Game in my town, but that's one I'm looking forward to as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will eventually stop boring everyone to death by raving about Locke :D
      The Imitation Game is a must watch :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. Haven't watched The Imitation Game and Life after Beth, but I agree with Gone Girl and Guardian of the Galaxy!
    Although, there will be more if I gotta make my own list. Great, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun making a list like this, especially going back through to all the releases throughout the year :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  9. So excited to see Locke mentioned! What an interesting and fantastic movie, eh? Tom Hardy is amazing.

    I also really need to see more on this list though! Haven't actually seen many of these (yet)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guardians and Gone Girl are in my Top Five right now too!!! Love these lists. I feel you on not seeing many movies in the actual film year they're released. I never get to the movies, so I usually don't post my year-end personal ballot until about May the following year, once everything I really want to see is on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gone Girl's in my upcoming Best Of list. Need to see Locke. Great list, gals. For future reference, this be the Italian Imposter. Thanks again for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll keep an eye out for your list :)
      You're welcome, and thanks for checking us out in return!
      - Allie

      Delete