Wednesday 25 June 2014

Favourite Movie Dance Numbers

On Sunday night I sat and watched Dirty Dancing from beginning to end with my Aunt, it has been a long time since I've done that.  Normally, I fast forward to all the dancing scenes as they are my favourite part - which prompted me to write this post.  I love dance oriented films but I always love actual dance routines (and regularly tried and failed to learn them as a kid!)  

Therefore, I will kick this list off with the one that started it all:

Dirty Dancing
Who doesn't love this dance scene?  What girl didn't want to be Baby and have Johnny come and demand 'nobody puts baby in the corner'? The routine is great but it's the little things around it as well that make it what it is.  Baby's mother announcing 'I think she gets it from me', Robbie dropping himself in it and the old dear throwing off her fur to throw some shapes.  All in all a cracking scene that every girl loves...


Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
I still have plans to learn this routine with my friend Louise but we have never quite got round to it.  The first time I watched this film, I just didn't expect this at all, I cried with laughter all the way through (and I'm pretty sure I would the tape back and watched it over and over again!)


Step up
I hate to admit it but I loved this film, has to be one of my guilty pleasures!  The whole film is utterly predictable and poorly written but the dancing is awesome.  The music is great and fits so well with the themes in the routine and I can't help but smile when I watch it.



Strictly Ballroom
It has been a hell of a long time since I have seen this film, but who can forget Doug Hastings slow clapping providing the beat for his son and Fran to do their routine - Brilliant!!


Save the last dance
No one watched Save the Last Dance and didn't root for Sara (Julia Stiles) to become a better dancer and show all the 'haters' and that is exactly what she did.  After watching the first scene in the club through parted fingers and feeling every inch of Sara's humiliation, it felt so good for her to succeed!


Big
Not sure where this is considered a dance routine but I'm using it anyway.  I wanted nothing more as a kid than to have a giant piano so I could learn to do this - unfortunately along with the Pony I asked for it was never to be.  So I had to settle for watching this over and over.


You Got Served
Not proud to admit but I do love this film (might have to also add it to the guilty pleasures list), as I said, I love anything with a good dance routine and this goes waaay beyond that.  No more words, just watch:


Grease
Spent a large chunk of my childhood trying to nail the clapping hand jive routine (I've finally got it now!) but the rest of this routine just wouldn't have worked on my own. Two fantastic dancers (John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John) showing everyone how it should be done.


Bring it on
Ok so not technically a dance routine as such but how can it not be mentioned! In fact I love all the routines in this film, they are quite incredible to watch, the skill that is involved is unbelievable.  If you are someone who will never watch this film, just watch this scene and if nothing else you have to admit they are some skilled cheerleaders!


Little Miss Sunshine
This blew me a away when I first saw this film, I just didn't expect it.  Abigail Breslin at her very best! (Excuse the poor quality video!)



Centre Stage
This film is really rubbish (but I love it anyway!) but this scene has got some amazing dancing and I mean real dancing!  There is some fluff in there involving a motorbike and various other props but the best parts are when it's just the dancers...


Beauty and the Beast
The moment you realise that she might love him too, lovely scene and that ballroom, the detail drawn in that is incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! That Romy and Michelle scene is priceless, and I've always loved that scene in Grease as well. Those two really did show them how it was done.

    ReplyDelete