Tuesday 7 June 2016

Review: Me before you (2016)

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been waiting for this movie to come out for months, no years.  I waiting too long to read the book after it being recommended to me and after finishing it i desperately wanted to forget it so I could read it again with fresh eyes.  As that wasn't possible I have been waiting impatiently for someone to make the movie....

Louisa Clark (Emilia Clarke) gets a job as a care-give for quadriplegic Will Traynor (Sam Claflin) only find he is a miserable recluse who only wishes for his old life back.  Louisa spends her days trying to inject some laughter and substance back into his world with the help of his medical carer, Nathan (Stephen Peacock).

I obviously read the book before I saw this and I think because the book is more in depth you feel like you know the characters a bit more than someone who hasn't.  My buddy-o-pal Lou hadn't read the book.  Therefore, I cried like someone had just ordered the last Big Mac while she barely sniffed the whole way through (this is where I might add that she is pregnant and therefore somewhat hormonal) and yet I came out a puffy mess and she was her usual radiant self (bitch!).  I can only put it down to me remembering more from the book, I am waiting for her to now read the book to give me her opinion.



I did prefer the book with the extra little details and knowing more about Lou's feelings but they really did cast the lead characters perfectly, particularly Emilia Clarke - she has without a doubt the most expressive eyebrows in all of Hollywood.  She was everything I imagined Lou to be and then some.   Also, being a die hard Home and Away fan, it was great to see Stephen Peacock in his first big role in Hollywood!


I did feel like the key elements of the film (them falling in love and his follow up decisions) were really rushed, I think that is because it wasn't rushed at all in the books.  Other than that, I really loved it.  I think reading the book first was a bonus because you had all the extra depth that's missing.



5 comments:

  1. I'm glad this worked for you, it didn't for me. Granted, I wasn't a huge fan of the book but I thought it was kind of appalling that they left out Lou's entire backstory of why she dressed the way she did and what happened to her in the gardens. It seemed so important in the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that!! It's been such a long time since i read the book, maybe that's a good thing! I think i'm going to have to read the book again now...
      Thanks for the reminder.
      - J

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the film or read the book (it's not really my thing) but the film has often drawn my attention because there's been a lot of noise made by others regarding its treatment of the disabled. Is it a lot of noise over nothing?

    It's true Emeila Clarke has such amazing eyebrows. Have you seen that clip of her and Cara Delevingne having an eye-brow off on the Graham Norton show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading some of the noise, I personally have chosen not to voice my opinion online however I wouldn't let it put you off the movie.

      Emilia Clarke does have the best eyebrows in Hollywood, they are truly amazing. I have not seen this eyebrow-off but I am going to google it NOW! :-)

      - J

      Delete