Thursday 9 June 2016

Review: Eddie the Eagle (2016)

I am unashamedly obsessed with Taron Egerton, he has not made enough films to keep my obsession at bay and I've watched all the interviews I could on YouTube so Eddie the Eagle came out just in time!




Eddie the Eagle is based on the true story of Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton), the British downhill skier who became the much loved underdog in the 1988 Winter Olympics. Accompanied by his trainer Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman), Eddie fights to compete as the first ever British ski jumper at the Olympics.



I can safely say I have never smiled so much watching a movie, my face was aching from grinning.  It is the ultimate feel good movie, if you ever need a pick me up, this is the way to go.  I went in fully expecting the laughs to be at Eddie's expense, but brilliantly they showcase him as a hero that you desperately want to succeed because of his determination to achieve his childhood dreams.  Comedic relief is provided through his relationship with Bronson, training montages and his supportive Mom (Jo Hartley) and not so supportive Dad (Keith Allen).

Egerton was absolutely brilliant as determined Eddie, he just makes him so lovable and even though you know he's not going to get he gold you are willing him to succeed.  I was jumping up and down in my seat, I gripped the seat for dear life whenever he did a jump and more than once I very nearly jumped up and fist pumped.  Jackman, although fictional, is great as the near opposite of Eddie, having his pessimistic nature slowly chipped away by kind hearted and ever-optimist Edwards.



Love, love, love this movie, I cannot wait until its out on DVD so I can watch it again and again.





1 comment:

  1. This looks like a very sweet and light movie and I read a lot of positive opinions about it, so I'll definitely give it a shot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete