Friday 3 June 2016

Review: Hello, My Name Is Doris (2016)

Sometimes you come across a film that stays with you for all the right reasons.  Hello, My Name Is Doris is that film.  I was so tired when I decided to watch it that I never thought I would finish it but it sucked me in and I couldn't turn it off.

Doris (Sally Field), is a sixty-something woman who has spent her life looking after her ailing Mother.  After attending a self help seminar she decides to pursue her romantic interest, John (Max Greenfield) who just happens to be half her age.

I spent most of this film with my hand over my face because I kept assuming that Doris was going to make a complete fool out of herself but everytime she just owned her decisions. I loved the positive message that it gives out that it doesn't matter what people think of you, it's what you think of you.  It really tugged at my heartstrings because I was judging her, I saw her wear an outfit and I assumed she was going to be laughed at but she wore it with such confidence that everyone loved it, and why the hell not.  I think more people in the world need to be like Doris. Last week I was ranting about how every office needs a dog (it does - but perhaps not your office Jenna!) but this week's rant is that every office needs a Doris! 

This movie was so cool! I was expecting a bit of a silly, slapstick kind of comedy (I didn't see the trailer) but this was something better than that. It was funny in all the right places, and it had a truly original storyline. Original to me at least, I've never seen anything like it. I lost interest in some of the slower parts of the movie, but it was definitely refreshing to see something so unique.


It's always good to see Max Greenfield (even if he's not playing Schmidt!) but Sally Field absolutely steals the show in this dramedy, playing the confident Doris who is just a little bit broken on the inside from the loss of her Mother and the insensitivity of her Brother.  I've decided this whole movie takes place in the New Girl universe, and the company they work in is in fact the marketing firm Schmidt works for...!


I still don't know how I feel about the ending! If you've seen it you'll know what I mean...it sort of has two endings. At first my reaction was 'NOOOOOO you ruined it', then I laughed till it hurt, and then my face kind of did this scrunchy thing when I realised it may have ended that way. I don't know, man...I don't know.






No comments:

Post a Comment