Tuesday 19 May 2015

Mini Reviews: Dolphin Tale 2 (2014), Million Dollar Arm (2014) and Love, Rosie (2014)



You may remember I reviewed Dolphin Tale back in September and back then I was really looking forward to the sequel, until I forgot about it!  Finally I watched it last week and I was pleasantly surprised.  Much like with the sequel to Free Willy its nice to see the same characters again and how their bonds have developed.  I really enjoyed seeing Sawyer (Nathan Gamble) as a much more confident teenager and being considered a bit of a VIP at the marine hospital.

It seemed a bit of a stretch for Morgan Freeman's character to return but I don't think the film would have been the same without his one-liners so we can forgive it.  Its another great family movie, it's no Free Willy but kids will love it and it has all the right moral messages so parents won't hate it.

Generally enjoyable, nothing amazing or jaw dropping just pleasantly entertaining.





I wasn't that bothered about seeing this but I thought I would give it a go, honestly I wish I hadn't.  Its the true story of a sports agent who sets up the Million Dollar Arm programme to bring cricketers from India and turn them into Baseball pitchers.  It was completely predictable (yes I know it is based on a true story but I didn't know the story before I watched it!) and cliché and just terrible to watch.  Jon Hamm's self-obsessed agent, JB, is not even remotely likable and the films seems to veer off the main subject to often to keep your attention.  Most of these 'sports' movies focus on the actual sport rather than what is happening off to the sides, but this doesn't and I found that a little disappointing.  I wanted to see how the pitchers (Surej Sharma and Madhur Mittal) were getting on and all I got was meetings, talking and no action.

Too much politics and talking and not enough focus on the players success/failure.






I love a good rom-com as you all well know by now, this was no exception.  Following 2 best friends through the age old 'When Harry Met Sally' question over the course of ten years.  There were parts I wasn't thrilled about and for the most part I was screaming at the TV for the main characters Alex (Sam Clafin) and Rosie (Lily Collins) to sort it out but alas you have to wait.  I was never bored, it was comical and entertaining throughout and yet again I noticed (and enjoyed) the soundtrack!

Its soppy, its cheesy and maybe a bit too posh for my liking but I loved it all (bear in mind if considering watching this that I am a full blown sucker for a rom-com, particularly if it makes me cry at least once!)

3 comments:

  1. Didn't hate Dolphin Tale 2, but it was so incredibly bland I struggled to care about any of it. Haven't seen the others, but one of those is on purpose. I've been actively avoiding Million Dollar Arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm with Wendell on Million Dollar Arm. No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reviews! I loved the beautiful Elle photoshoot with Sam and Lily. Definitely going to check out the movie sometime. There's nothing wrong with a fun rom-com! :)

    ReplyDelete