Monday 11 May 2015

Mini Reviews: Dear John (2010), Enchanted (2007) & The Interview (2014)


Rom-coms used to be all I would watch, but since starting this blog and widening my horizon, it’s left a whole ton of films like Dear John sat around just waiting to be watched. I get the TV all to myself on Tuesday nights whilst the other half is away, so I got to tick Dear John off my list not too long ago. It stars Channing Tatum as John, a US Army soldier, who meets Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) whilst on summer leave.

It’s exactly what you’d expect, and it’s fairly predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and I can’t speak for the rest of my fellow ladies out there, but I’ll happily watch Channing Tatum shirtless on the beach any day! Not a film I feel the need to re-watch any time soon, but enjoyable nonetheless.




I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of comments I received on the Thursday Movie Picks: Fairy Tale Adaptations post I did which featured Enchanted. It felt like I was the only one in the world who had never seen it! Needless to say, I made sure I watched it very soon after. If you’ve been hiding under a rock like me for the last 8 years, Enchanted is a real-life, Disney musical about the princess Giselle (Amy Adams) who gets sent to real-world New York city.

It was just the right kind of cheesy, with songs that are catchy and easy to recall (as my 20 year old brother can prove!) and it was so full of charm from beginning to end that I just couldn’t stop smiling. The CGI work is a little off, but that can be forgiven. Glad to say that I’ve finally watched it!




Why do I keep doing this to myself?! I can’t stand James Franco, I really, really just can’t bear him, and yet I just can’t help myself and keep giving him chances. I guess I’m still trying to find another This Is The End. I’m not sure how much of the ‘The Interview has been banned/Oh no it hasn’t’ scandal I believe, but it was enough to get me to watch it one weekend. So, in this, Dave Skylark (James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapaport (Seth Rogen) run a celebrity chat show, and are tasked with interviewing North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-Un. Um, and kill him.

Honestly? I thought James Franco was alright in this. He surprised me. However, the film itself fell flat. The first half was decent, just the right kind of silly, but it wasn’t the un-believable factor that killed it for me. It just wasn’t very interesting! I got bored halfway through and caught up with Twitter instead. Sorry!


5 comments:

  1. I thought The Interview was hilarious, and Enchanted was adorable. I never saw Dear John. I can't do Nicholas Sparks movies anymore. Great reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definiyely say Dear John is worth a miss. Maybe I've outgrown those kinds of films without even realising!
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. I think I might be the only person in the world who still likes Nicholas Sparks movies, its a guilty pleasure!! :-)
      - Jenna

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on both of the last two. On Enchanted, I think the cgi wasn't supposed to be flawless and ultra realistic, but reminiscent of the great Disney cartoons. It worked for me. Love that movie. Haven't seen Dear John, though. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder actually whether the CGI in Enchanted was done that way purposely! Don't bother with Dear John, it's miss-able!
      - Allie

      Delete