Monday, 7 July 2014

Review: Trance (2013)

At the start of 2013, I clearly remember two trailers that cropped up every time I went to the cinema, Trance and Welcome to the Punch. It just struck me as funny as they were both James McAvoy films, coming out within 2 weeks of each other. I spent ages deciding which of the two I was going to see, and as these things usually pan out, I ended up seeing neither. Last night however, I spotted Trance on Sky Movies on Demand, and figured this would be the perfect time to redeem myself.  I am a huge fan of James McAvoy so I am amazed I haven't seen this film yet but it is on my list and I will get round to I eventually.  I'm pretty sure however, that I did watch Welcome to the Punch but cannot remember a single thing about it so it can't have been that memorable.


I have to admit, I actually got the two films confused in my head and I was originally expecting an action film. Actually, I think I did better by watching Trance. This is about an art auctioneer called Simon who gets mixed up with a criminal gang. He teams up with them to help steal a painting worth $30m, but betrays the gang leader at the last minute. He's injured in the scrap, and ends up losing a lot of his memory, meaning he can't remember where he hid the stolen painting. The gang force him to see a hypnotist to help him remember.

That's really all I can tell you about Trance without giving you spoilers, and I promise you I won't do that.


Once the hypnotist was introduced, I knew this would be a film that would mess with my head. I started to question what was real, and even what order events were taking place. In fact, to be completely honest, at one point I almost wanted to give up. I'd got myself so confused, and I could feel a big reveal was about to take place but I figured it would make me more confused. In fact, it really cleared things up and I was so glad I stuck it out.  It doesn't surprise me that you were confused ;-)


Trance also reminded me just how great of an actor James McAvoy is. I haven't seen much of his work, and in fact, the first thing I ever saw him in was Shameless! I'm making a mental note though to watch more of him, maybe Welcome to the Punch should be next!  See above!!

This was nearly a 9 from me, but I'm still not sure I understand the very last scene, and I don't think it has much replay value. Still a fantastic film though!

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I enjoyed Trance. It isn't my favorite Boyle film, but it's still really good, and I agree, McAvoy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it, no one I know has ever seen it before so I've sort of been talking to myself about it...haha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. The intention of this comment is to let you know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!! Just check out my post for all the rules and have fun with it - after all, you deserve it! Congrats!! http://1001movieman.blogspot.com/2014/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andrew! We're super excited about this! Going to be drafting up a post of our own very soon :)
      - Allie

      Delete