Sunday 8 February 2015

Currently Watching: Supernatural

I’ve been really getting into TV Shows just lately. They’re just so good at the moment! After finishing Dexter last year, I needed something serious in my life to contrast all the New Girl and Community I’ve also been watching. One of my friends is a huge Supernatural fan and kept recommending it to me, and since I started my job I found 2 more huge fans, and before I knew it, I was lent the DVDs. FINALLY - although the huge fan to which Allie is referring is not actually me, however I have been bugging her to watch it for ages, so applaud this friend!



Horror is a genre I just can’t stand, but I’ve had in interest in all things supernatural (har-har) since high school sleepovers watching Most Haunted. Plus, now I work closer to home I have just enough time to watch an episode of something with my breakfast before heading off to work. I’d worked out though that at the rate I can watch it...it’ll take me approximately 10 months to fully catch up with Supernatural, and then I realised that it’s actually still going...sigh!

Is there anyone that doesn’t know what Supernatural is about? I’m only 2 Seasons in so this a very limited summary, but each episode follows two brothers, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) as they hunt down all sorts of demons, spirits and creatures. They learnt their skills from their Dad who started hunting when his Wife, the brothers’ Mother, was murdered by a demon/spirit/thing.


So far, each episode has focused on a new hunt, with a larger, overarching storyline for each season, which I love. Each episode almost feels like a mini-film and so they’ll be great to re-watch over the years, but the bigger story has enough of a presence to keep you wanting to carry on through the Season. It’s nothing groundbreaking, but for me its something completely different, and that’s why I like it so much. There are tons of nods to classic rock music, and plenty of humour without it being too cheesy, and the banter between the two brothers certainly hasn’t gotten old yet.


Everyone has to have a team, right? That’s how these things work. I thought I would be Team Dean all the way, but actually, the more I watch, the more I’m drawn to Sam. I’m a sucker for a cute, socially awkward hunk I guess! I might change my mind though… Team Dean for me....



Spoilers ahead for the Season 2 finale...you've been warned!

Wow, wow, wow! I had doubts for this Season finale, I'll be honest. The last 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1 were definitely leading up to something big, but I came to the penultimate episode this time round and there were no clues whatsoever to how the finale would pan out. However, the last episode is double-length in two parts, and that worked really well. Knowing that two brothers are still in the seasons yet to come ruined the death of Sam scene for me a little as I knew he would come back somehow (FYI - this will happen ALOT!), but the emotions still hit me the same. I can't wait to start Season 3 now!

No comments:

Post a Comment