Friday 24 October 2014

Review: Gone Girl (2014)

Since starting this blog, I don't think I've ever logged in to look at our reading list and seen so many reviews flood in for just one particular movie. I'm not even sure how to review Gone Girl because I can't even explain to friends and family in person how much I loved it, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

I was shocked by the flood of love for this film and had to get out there and see it myself.  I was delayed somewhat so Allie saw it before me and explained how much she loved it so I was ridiculously excited when I got to the cinema (I didn't even stop for sweets!)


You must have seen at least a trailer by now, but if not, Gone Girl is based on a book written by Gillian Flynn. It tells the story of a seemingly happy married couple, Nick (Ben Affleck) and Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike). On the day of their anniversary, Nick comes home to find that his wife has disappeared under unsettling circumstances, and alerts the police. As time goes by and the search for Amy continues, the media and public begin to question Nick's behaviour and involvement in the disappearance of his wife.

I went into the cinema last week with mixed emotions. I was really looking forward to seeing the movie but at two and a half hours long, I wondered how a seemingly simple 'did he, didn't he' plot could keep me entertained throughout. If you hadn't already worked this out, I hadn't read the book either, although my Mum had and nearly blurted out how happens before I stopped her!


Prior to actually watching Gone Girl, I tried not to think too much into what might happen, I didn't want to spend the whole day before trying to work out what happens before I even saw it. I just can't help myself though! The actual story is almost split into three parts which definitely helps with the run time. It was fascinating trying to work out whether Nick had any involvement with Amy's disappearance, I kept questioning my own thoughts, and just when I thought I might figure it out, part two kicked in without any real warning, and blew me away.

Well, I never thought that the hype of a movie could lead to such disappointment.  Don't get me wrong the film was entertaining and the suspense and acting was superb but (and this is not a small but) I was expected so much more.  I wanted bigger twists.  I predicted pretty much every twist (bar one) before they happened and found myself disappointed when I was right and when nothing else happened.  Now I can't be certain whether this is the same response I would have had, had I not seen so many positive reviews for the movie.

This movie has to be enjoyed spoiler free so no more on that from me, let me talk about Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Although I wouldn't class him as one of my favourites, I do like Ben Affleck's work and he didn't disappoint me in Gone Girl. However, Rosamund Pike, who I've never really seen before, was absolutely amazing and if I could, I would hand her an Oscar right now for her performance, she was really that good. 


Although, I wasn't 100% sold on the plot, my love for Affleck and Pike remains, they were both fantastic in the lead roles and the support characters provided the perfect background for this time hoping adaptation.  The voice over diary entries were a brilliant way to show how Amy and Nick met and their marriage prior to Amy's disappearance.  The characters saved this one for me, they kept me interested and entertained even when I was waiting for something better to happen.

What surprised me the most was how much dark humour was in the movie. I wasn't expecting it at all but some parts had me laughing out loud to the point I had to hide my face in my cardigan! There was some great humour in this, Tanner Bolt (Tyler Perry) made me laugh out loud as the hardcore lawyer.

As you know by now, I watch most films on a Wednesday where I can get half price tickets, which I really enjoy as the screen is always full, as was the case with Gone Girl last week. Never before have I witnessed a reaction at the ending of a film like this. It was an audible gasp from everyone, followed by stunned silence, and then crazy whisperings and looks of amazement as we all left.  I actually just sat there for 5 minutes wondered what had just happened and whether they were 'just joking' when the end credits rolled!

If this isn't my new favourite movie of all time, it's at least my favourite of the year by far, without a shadow of a doubt. I don't like giving out 10/10, but I can't fault the movie in any way.

I am fully aware that I am going very much against the crowd with my opinion on this movie (that's part of the reason why I love the blogging community, so many different ideas) but it just didn't quite match up to my expectations as I hoped it would.

8 comments:

  1. Nice review ladies! Jenna, I'm sorry it didn't live up to your high expectations. I hate it when that happens. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely sucks when that happens, but it's definitely happened to me before too.
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Nice review. I probably fall somewhere in between both of your opinions. Didn't QUITE live up to every expectation I had of it, but I wasn't necessarily disappointed, either. A good all around flick. Loved the dark humor, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the dark humour was one of my favourite parts, and I really wasn't expecting it either. It sounds silly but their cat made me laugh too!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Good review girls! It's refreshing to see some perspectives that don't match up to the hype. I felt like the book disappointed me like the movie did Jenna; I predicted everything that was going to happen. But somehow I really loved the movie for the performances and it's build-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! I thought Rosamund Pike in particular was amazing and I can't wait to see more of her in the future :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Great review ladies :) I like that you had differing opinions on the film! Maybe the hype got in the way for Jenna, but on the whole it was a great film :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare that we disagree actually but differing opinions is why we love the blogging community so much!
      - Allie

      Delete