Wednesday 6 July 2016

Review: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

For me, 2015 was the year that I managed to ignore a horrendous of amazing movies, which I obviously regretted when I finally got round to watching them months later. Since that realisation, I’ve been making a better attempt at watching the movies I’ve been recommended. I mean, they’re recommended for a reason, Allie, get your head in the game! I can’t for the life of me remember why, but I know I read about Inside Llewyn Davis a while ago, and with 2 cast members of The Force Awakens in it, I couldn’t pass on it any longer.

Inside Llewyn Davis follows the life of a folk singer named, oddly enough, Llewyn Davis, played by Oscar Isaac, as he struggles with his life both personally and professionally. His week starts off badly when he lets himself out of a friends apartment, and ends up locking their cat outside, along with himself. Have you ever tried to carry a cat around anywhere? I struggle to carry mine from room to room, so Llewyn gets a seal of approval from me for managing to carry this cat from one side of New York to the other without losing it. Well, kind of.


It wasn’t until halfway through the movie that I truly appreciated it for what it was, a journey, and at that moment my brain did a thing and I realised that it was directed by the Coen brothers! I’m such a big fan of Fargo and The Big Lebowski, and although Inside Llewyn Davis is much more toned down than these, the feeling is still there. I’m now on a major Coen hype, and if anyone could recommend another movie of theirs, I would really appreciate it.

Another thing I loved was the music. i’m not a folk/jazz fan at all, couldn’t be much further from it, but the night that I watched this I couldn’t sleep because I had the only two lines of ‘Hang me, oh hang me’ that I could remember playing on loop in my head. I had to actually find it on YouTube and play it just so my mind could rest. in fact, let me find it for you now.



What fascinated me the most was after watching the movie, I read more into it, about the cat named Ulysses and the fact that actually, Llewyn is this cat, on that adventure. It’s taken me 2 weeks to actually finish this post, because it’s played on my mind ever since, and if you follow us on Twitter you’ll see, each day that passed I loved it a little more and more.


If you haven’t watched Inside Llewyn Davis yet, I strongly recommend that you do, and if this post isn’t enough to sell it to you, let me try you with this. you get to watch Poe Dameron, Kylo Ren and Justin Timberlake sing a song about outer space. it doesn’t get much better than that, folks.



6 comments:

  1. I still have this on Blu Ray sitting unwatched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, you're as bad as me! Get on it, girl!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. great post! I just watched this again recently. It is one of my fave Coen movies, but they are all great really. If you want a comedy check out O Brother, Where Art Thou? or Raising Arizona, both are hilarious! For something different check out No Country For Old Men, one of the best films ever made IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've gotta say, I haven't seen a lot of Coen Brother movies yet, but I've loved every one I've seen. Thank you for the recommendations!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that didn't like this movie. It was so underwhelming. I LOVED the soundtrack though. I'm glad you enjoyed the film so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw noo! I'm glad you love the soundtrack at least - that's still my favourite part of the movie to be honest!
      - Allie

      Delete