Sunday 7 June 2015

Review: Home (2014)

I saw the trailer for this while I was watching Big Hero 6 and after that being so amazing, I couldn't wait to see this.  Huge fan of Big Bang Theory so using Sheldon Cooper's (Jim Parsons) voice for Oh was a stroke of genius.  Plus they had a whole host of A-listers voicing the supporting characters so it must be great, yes?!



Oh is a Boov, Boovs are a race of aliens whose greatest skill is running and hiding.  If ever they are in trouble, they find a planet, re-home the current inhabitants and take the planet for themselves.  In text this sounds like a horror movie but the Boov's look like this...


This time they are coming for Earth, they take all the humans, extract them and move in themselves.  However, Oh unwittingly sends a 'housewarming' invitation to the whole galaxy pin pointing their location to all the bad guys.  Oh must stop the message from getting out with the help of Gratuity Tucci, known as Tip, the only human left on the planet.


The trailer for this was really funny, however it seemed to me that all the really funny bits were in the trailer, leaving mildly amusing scenes to fill the gaps.  I was desperate to love the whole thing, but honestly I spent the whole film waiting for the next scene from the trailer to happen because I knew it would make me laugh.  There was some laugh out loud moments when you discover what the Boov's decide is unrequired on Earth and so send away (numerous items including but not limited to toilets, umbrellas and bikes!)


I don't think my niece Brogan thought as much of it as Big Hero 6 either.  She bared moved through that film, kept her 3D glasses on all the way through and was a complete angel.  She got bored in this one and had a little bit of a tantrum meaning her Mum missed the funniest  bit! Kids ay!


Anyway, back to the movie.  The animation was ok but after the high quality visuals of How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story to follow, it is lacking.  The story doesn't quite pull through for me either, I found 'Tip' to be honestly, boring.  Moreso being opposite a character who is the opposite, obviously she was required for Oh to interact with but I didn't really care if she found her Mom.  The obvious cast self promotion (at least 2 tracks throughout by members of the cast) was annoying and poorly timed, these pop songs came up when a musical score would have suited much better.


Overall an enjoyable experience but lacking across the board for me.  The worst thing is I REALLY wanted to love it but I just didn't.

3 comments:

  1. This is pretty fair, I think I gave it the same kinda score - it's decent, but nowhere near so of Dreamworks' best stuff :) Nice review Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so! - Jen

      Delete
  2. Yeah...err...this movie just wasn't funny. It felt like a 30-minute children's cartoon that was stretched way too thin.

    ReplyDelete