Wednesday 17 June 2015

Being Home

This week I moved into my very own house, I have lived with my Dad for near on my whole life so far and so it was a huge step for me to buy my own house and move in.  I have only been in for two days but I have had hoards of friends and family come to visit to make sure I'm not lonely (and get a nosey at the house) and its been great.  Now will be the time where I have to make a house a home, the decorating is all done but I  have to spend the next few weeks find a place for everything I own and getting into a routine (as I have been stuck in a 30 year rut at my previous home!).  Its all very exciting and in honour of this big event, I thought I would list my favourite movies that involve a house or a home quite prominently in the storyline.


I LOVE Goldie Hawn films, particularly the ones from the 80's/90's and this was one of my favourites.  Architect Newton Davies (Steve Martin) designs and builds his fiancĂ©e a house in his home town (anyone who has seen this movie will remember the gorgeous white house with the giant red bow).  She freaks out and he gets drunk and spends the night with Gwen (Goldie Hawn) who proceeds to move herself into this house and inform the locals that she is Newton's new love.  You can imagine how the rest of the film goes but its just a great movie with lots of laughs a great cast.  The house is stunning and becomes the centre point of the whole film.







Has anyone even heard of this film?  Two kids are so annoyed with the warring parents that they lock them in the basement of their house until they can sort out their differences!  Other kids in their school hear about this genius idea and bring their parents along to join the basement 'party'  Chaos ensues as the kids try to take care of themselves as well as provide their parents with enough food and water to survive.  Its been a long time since I watched this film I had it on VHS as a kid and I think I wore it out I watched it that much.  Great cast and unique story, definitely worth watching with your kids if you can get hold of a copy!  The 'grown ups' in the basement make the most of a bad situation while the kids realise its not easy being a grown up!







If you don't know the story of Home Alone then you probably shouldn't be reading a movie blog but I will summarise briefly just in case.  Kevin McAllister (MacCaulay Culkin) gets left at home when his family go on vacation for Christmas.  He thinks its the best thing ever until the 'Wet Bandits' try to rob the house thinking it's empty.  Kevin sets up countless traps around the house to thwart the burglars.  Did you know the house used for this film is still around but its been changed so much on the inside that it looks nothing like the 90's wonderland that we all remember.  I don't even need to justify this pick, it is centred around a home but it also throughs in the sentimental notes that a house is not home without family.






*pause for inevitable groans of disappointment* I know everyone hated this film when it came out but that doesn't stop me from loving it!  Kate (Sandra Bullock) buys a lake house, which once belonged to Alex (Keanu Reeves), somehow (I can't remember how) they end up communicating via the mail box outside the house - across time!  They build a relationship via letter and try to work out how they can meet in person.  Its a bizarre set up but ultimately it is a romantic drama and a bit of a weepy and we all know I'm a sucker for those. 










Adam (Alec Baldwin) and Barbara (Geena Davis) refuse to sell their house even after encouragement from their local realtor.  Unfortunately, on their way home they swerve their car and die, leaving them haunting the house.  Unable to cope with new owners moving in Adam and Barbaa enlist the help of Beetlejuice to scare off the new tenants with hilarious and disastrous consequences.  This film is weird, every time I watch it I find it more weird and spot more strange people/items in the background of the scenes but I love it.  It's my go to Halloween film (because I don't like real horror movies).  Michael Keaton is at his best at Beetlejuice!  Did I hear rumours of a sequel to this recently?! Anyone else heard anything?  I don't know if I want that to happen or not....







Melanie (Reese Witherspoon) is a post clothing designer in New York with a gorgeous man, Andrew (Patrick Dempsey) who rents out the whole of Tiffany's to propose to her, there's only one problem:  She never quite got divorced from her first husband Jake (Josh Lucas).  Melanie has to head back to her home town in Alabama to get him to sign the papers before anyone realises that she has lied about her past.  Typical rom-com about the importance of home and where you come from but the amazing cast from Witherspoon, Dempsey and Lucas to Candice Bergen, Mary Kay Place and Fred Ward give it the edge over other rom-coms.









How many times will I find an excuse to write about this film?!  In fact I nearly tried to throw the Goonies in there because their whole jaunt was to save their homes!! Anyway, back to it!  You all know the story by now Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams) meet as teenagers and fall in love but are torn apart by her fancy shmancy parents.  They reconnect years later only to discover nothing has really changed.  Noah builds Allie the house she dreams of living in, he builds it even though he believes he will never live there with her.  It turns out the house brings them back together when the work he has done features in a newspaper and Allie sees it.  Its such a lovely sentiment and still my favourite romantic movie ever.




One of my favourite Christmas movies - how it didn't feature in the 12 days of Christmas, I don't know! Iris (Kate Winslet) and Amanda (Cameron Diaz) decide to swap houses over the Christmas holidays after both suffer relationship disasters.  Over the opposite sides of the Atlantic, Iris and  Kate forge a friendship and find love in the most unexpected places.  (I should write movie blurbs for a living!!)  An opposing tale about how the grass is sometimes a little bit greener on the other side!  I would love to live in both the houses featured in this but the US house was just amazing - I need those blinds in my life!

6 comments:

  1. Aww, congratulations on your new home!!! How exciting. This is such a cool idea for a post too. I love House Arrest, or at least I have fond memories of it as a child. I need to rewatch that with the kids...I bet they'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, its all very exciting...and scary!!

      I feel like if I watch House Arrest now I might be disappointed whereas at the moment I remember it as being brilliant and I kind of don't want to spoil that!

      - Jen

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new place, Jenna! I haven't heard of The Lake House or House Arrest. I would go all Disney kid and add Smart House onto the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)

      I don't remember Smart House although being Disney I'm sure I saw it at some point, may have to revisit :-)
      - Jenna

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finally getting your own place! Those are some fun ideas for movies to go with the occasion.

    ReplyDelete