Wednesday 16 November 2016

Review: Sausage Party (2016)

sausage-party-review-2016
When I posted my ‘2016 Comedy Special’ mini reviews, I thought I’d seen all of the big comedy releases of this summer. Then I spotted someone’s review of Sausage Party in my blogger feed, and I let out a long sigh. There was one I had missed. When Seth Rogen and James Franco are together, they are so hit or miss for me. I’ve never seen one of their movies and thought ‘eh, that was alright’, it’s always one extreme or the other. And I really wasn’t sold by the trailer.

Of course, this animated movie is Seth Rogen’s baby that just so happens to feature James Franco, but I find Seth like that one guy in your friend group or school that's completely lovely and funny on his own, but when he’s with that particular friend, he turns into a complete ass. I sound really bitter, don’t I?

Sausage Party is like every other animated movie you’ve seen starring inanimate objects, with one difference. It’s rude. Like, extremely rude. Sexual jokes, racist jokes, down right dirty jokes, fly left right and center here. The stand out example here is in the opening scene, when a jar of german mustard announces his wishes to eliminate the juice. Say it out loud, and it’ll soon click for you. The ‘f’ in his logo is expertly designed to look like a very infamous symbol, too. That’s when you do that nervous kind of laugh where you know you shouldn’t find it funny, but it’s downright hilarious.

sausage-party-seth-rogen-kristen-wiig

I actually had quite a bit of hope to begin with. If you’re not aware of the plot yet, the movie is about a bunch of groceries in a supermarket, living their lives, waiting to be chosen by the Gods to be taken to the ‘great beyond’. In this particular store, the groceries start each morning with a song all about it, and how certain they are that absolutely nothing will ge wrong should they be chosen. Sorry, but it’s still not quite as funny as Olaf the Snowman wanting to see what summer is all about!

Frank the sausage (Seth Rogen) is the star of the show, alongside his lover Brenda (Kristen Wiig), a hotdog bun. The two get chosen to leave but everything goes wrong, leaving them with the mission of getting back home to warn everyone else. It’s a simple enough story, but my biggest problem with it is that it doesn’t know what it wants to be. Is this a simple, ‘fart jokes’ comedy, or is a comedy with a hidden, deeper meaning? It’s both, which is confusing as hell.

sausage-party-toilet-paper-gum-chips

But what really ruined it for me was the scene outside, with the zombie corn. If you’ve seen the movie, you’ll be shuddering right now because you’ll know exactly what I’m on about. A giant, cartoon-rendered turd on the floor being eaten by zombie corn. And it gets worse, because next on screen is a talking, used condom. I mean USED. Ugh.

I don’t know what I expected really. In some ways, Sausage Party was better than I thought it would be, but it’s still largely unfunny, and downright gross. That’s just me though, I know plenty of people will absolutely love this, because it’s the kind of humour they enjoy. At least I can now say I’ve seen all the big 2016 comedies! I think?


8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this one yet but a friend of mine recently told me how awful it is. Not sure if I'll ever check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just...so unnecessary. Not the worst movie in the world but you're missing nothing if you never see it.
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. I agree it was so unfunny. The script had some smart ideas but comparing to This is the End this was kinda a disaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the End is probably my favourite Seth Rogen movie, it's hilarious from start to finish!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. It was actually funny to some points, before they decided to make it a slumberfest of raunchy and foulmouthed foods. I don't understand why those people made this. Are they really making fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it could have been really great, but I guess they wanted to push the boundaries so it wouldn't get compared to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. definitely recommend these

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt im Leben treffen wir auf eine bestimmte Person, die gerade jetzt gebraucht wird. Was also macht diese Filme https://hdfilmestream.co/300-schlummerland-2022.html so unterhaltsam?

    ReplyDelete