Sunday 27 December 2015

Mini Reviews: Two Night Stand (2014), In My Dreams (2014) & Prime (2005)

When I started these three reviews, I didn’t realise I was going to give them all the same rating, however this has ended up being a post to celebrate the mediocre those middle ground films that aren’t rubbish but aren’t good either.


Having seen Whiplash and the Spectacular Now (and before suffering Fantastic Four) I was a little bit obsessed with Miles Teller so when I clocked Two Night Stand, I had to give it a go.  I wasn’t disappointed, I wasn’t overwhelmed but I wasn’t disappointed so that’s a good thing.  It was pretty unrealistic, but what else can we expect from a romcom (before the amazingness that was Man Up!) so that didn’t bother me.  Not sure how memorable the story was, I remember most of it but the details are already disappearing (although exactly how long it’s been since I actually saw it is questionable).  I wouldn’t say its anything special but it’s the kind of film you can happily watch on a Sunday afternoon curled up on the sofa, so that’ll do for me!






Another weekend, another evening of Netflix surfing.  I was baking a cake (which took 8 hours in total) so I needed something that required no thinking whatsoever.  In your dreams was just that, a light hearted, terribly acted story of a mystical curse on a fountain.  If you throw your coin in you will dream about your true love for 7 days and you can use that to find said person.  Here’s the thing, they threw, they dreamt, they happen to be in the same place at the same time but miss each other, decide to find each other, miss each other again, then meet up at the fountain….thats it!  No twists not turns just bog standard low budget rom com.  It wasn’t terrible, it was far from fantastic but it entertained me while I was baking – I wouldn’t watch it again though.






Another find of Netflix, I like Uma Thurman, I LOVE Meryl Streep and I like that kid from One Tree Hill so this couldn’t all be bad.  It was actually surprisingly entertaining (although I’m pretty sure I realised half way through that I had in fact seen it before!) and interesting as it considers the dynamics of age gaps in relationships, particularly older women with younger men.  Streep throws in some great humour as David's (Bryan Greenberg) controlling Jewish mother, who also happens to be Rafi’s therapist but it just doesn’t quite hit the mark for me.  It’s obviously forgettable as didn’t remember ever seeing it before (although that may be my age!) and it rapidly flipped from light hearted rom com to a story of emotional heartbreak and loss leaving me a little bit perplexed as to whether it was a happy or sad ending.  Not awful but don’t rush out to see it, catch it on a Sunday afternoon with a cuppa tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment