Thursday 29 October 2015

Review: The Final Girls (2015)

the-final-girls-review-2015
Despite my hatred of horror movies (hate is a strong word, I’m actually just a wimp) I think I might have found my happy medium this October. Horror Comedies! Just enough spookiness to make me nervous, but plenty of laughs to distract myself. This one will have been my third watch this year (after Cooties and The Visit) and I’m definitely on the hunt now for some more. Any recommendations?

Sort of tumbling into the sci-fi category also, The Final Girls is a horror comedy that likes to poke fun at itself. During a special screening of Camp Bloodbath & Camp Bloodbath II, a devastating fire breaks out in the theatre and Max (Taissa Farmiga) and her friends Chris (Alexander Ludwig), Vicki (Nina Dobrev), Gertie (Alia Shawkat) and Duncan (Thomas Middleditch) find themselves trapped inside the movie itself in their attempt to escape.

the-final-girls-taissa-farmiga

Even I know those basic horror movie rules. Anyone who takes their clothes off and has sex will die, and in the end there will be just one girl left, a virgin at that, who manages to kill the killer and live to the end. The killer themselves will have been the victim of something awful years before, which made them the killer they are, yet they are nothing but a legend to the characters in the movie.

I really love the concept of The Final Girls. From the moment the group stepped into the movie, and the van drove past playing the same music every 92 minutes as if on a loop, I was just amused. Something that I don’t often pay attention to are the sets, I get too engrossed in dialogue most of the time, but they were great in this. Visually, The Final Girls is beautiful which I didn’t expect from a low budget movie.

the-final-girls-malin-akerman

Something else that surprised me was the amount of heart the movie had. Okay, at one point it got a little too sappy and I was sort of expecting something goofy to happen to lighten the mood a little, but I actually wouldn’t change that scene because it was quite beautiful.

Of course, this movie would be nowhere near as funny if it didn’t have Adam DeVine in it. The guy is hilarious, and there are some outtakes of his during the credits which show how much he was ad-libbing, which I love.

Definitely worth a watch!


12 comments:

  1. I might try this one. Have you seen Housebound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh no, I haven't. Going to look it up now though :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. LOL, someone needs to write a horror movie where the slut winds up being the sole survivor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT I would watch! I actually made a short horror movie in college for a class and my group tried to change up all those stereotypes, so the clever, virgin girl died first etc, etc, but it was pretty terrible!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. I scrolled past this about 20 times on Netflix and decided against it. Happened to see the trailer a couple days ago and now I'm going to watch it as soon as possible. Glad to hear it's worth watching.

    Some horror-comedy suggestions:

    Shaun of the Dead
    Housebound
    Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    Warm Bodies
    Life After Beth
    The Cabin in the Woods
    Young Frankenstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing!! Life After Beth has been on my watch list for ages actually, I have so much love for Aubrey Plaza <3
      Thank you for the suggestions :D
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Glad to see that you liked this one! It's funny and not meant to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun watch! I've been recommending it to friends ever since I watched it :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to checking this out sometime. I second the recommendation of Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. I love that movie a little bit more every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, thank you :)
      I'm sure I've seen that movie crop up on other blogs that I read so I'm going to have to check that out soon!
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. I am a HUGE fan of this movie! Loved every second of it, and that heart that it brought? It worked wonders!

    I love a good horror comedy, though they aren't the easiest to find. A personal favourite of mine is Housebound, definitely worth checking out. And The Cabin in the Woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I just had to watch it after reading so many positive reviews. The Cabin in the Woods was brilliant, but I'll be adding Housebound to my watch list for Halloween this year :)
      - Allie

      Delete