Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Monthly Round-Up & Blogger Links: November 2016

Tomorrow is December, guys. Where has this year gone, and why do I still have so many of this year's releases to watch? Tomorrow brings the start of the season of Christmas movies, although I admit I cheated a little and watched Die Hard over the weekend. For the first time! Shame on me, I know. Anyway, I've kept this little blog as busy as I can whilst Jenna is away, and if you've missed any of my reviews this month here they are:

Doctor Strange (2016) 9/10
Swiss Army Man (2016) 8/10
Bad Moms (2016) 8/10
Keanu (2016) 6/10
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016) 5/10
Nocturnal Animals (2016) 9/10
Sausage Party (2016) 5/10
Arrival (2016) 10/10
Tickled (2016) 8/10
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them (2016) 7/10


It feels like I haven't watched many movies this month, which is odd because I've had a record number of cinema trips! That sounds impressive, but it's actually 3. I'd like to count 4, because I'm taking Jenna to see Paterson tomorrow, but that's technically the 1st December. But nonetheless, there's still been plenty going  on in November.


1st November brought my Dad's Birthday, and the family finally relented and watched his favourite movie with him, Lawrence of Arabia (1962). It was just under 4 hours long thanks to the special edition DVD he owned, and with all the toilet and snack breaks we took, it was well past our bedtimes by the time it ended, and on a school night no less! Check my post here if you'd like to re-live the journey with us.

I've started my Christmas shopping! Sadly, starting it was about as far as I got. Have you heard that funny saying about having too much month left at the end of money? Story of my life right now. I'm still moving forward with my plan to buy everyone a movie as part of their present, but for now it's a hand-written list until pay day hits for the final time before the big event. 

November also brought the birthday of one of my favourite actors, Adam Driver! To celebrate I made a Top 5 list of my favourite roles of his. I think I should do an updated one next year, because I'm hoping to add Paterson and Silence to it. I still can't believe I'm going to watch Silence, I'm not a Scorsese fan (nothing personal, as fate would have it I've only ever enjoyed 1 of his movies) but that cast is too great to ignore.


In the penultimate week of November, Dell at Dell on Movies introduced Girl Week, and lots of us bloggers get involved by posting about our favourite leading actresses, and movies with a predominately female cast. I got introduced to a whole host of new movies for my watch list, and got involved by posting a list of my favourite leading actresses of 2016 so far.

As far as TV goes, I've quickly caught up with Brooklyn Nine Nine and New Girl now that they're back after their break. These two shows might just be my favourite comedies ever, I swear. Captain Holt just gets funnier every episode (his lines during the dog show had me and husband having to pause so we could stop crying). I just wish Nick and Jess would get back together. Please, TV Gods, please!! I'm finally up to date with Westworld, which is quickly surpassing Stranger Things as my favourite new show of 2016, and I've finished The Fall, which had the most disappointing ending since Dexter. Still hurts.

But enough about me, here's what some of my favourite bloggers have been posting about this month!

I've loved reading everyone's thoughts on Arrival (2016), set to be my #1 of the year. Here are reviews from A Fistful of Films, Cinema Parrot Disco, Dan the Man's Movie Reviews, and Epileptic Moondancer.

Katy at Oh So Geeky dressed up as Matt the Radar Technician for Halloween, and stole my heart in the process.

Although he doesn't have a blog of his own, Joel65913 wrote about A Letter to Three Wives (1949) for Dell on Movies' Girl Week, I can't wait to see this movie for myself.

Katie at She Likes Movies has watched some brilliant movies this month, and reminded me of a couple I need to see for herself. Also Katie, I hope you regain your Christmas spirit soon! I'm thinking of you.

Brittani at Rambling Film covers the 2017 Independent Spirit Award Nominations.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you get to see Paterson tomorrow!! ugghhh lol. I can't wait to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been getting lots of good reviews...there's a good chance it's going to be great and I'm so scared and excited!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link! <3
    Sounds like you had a pretty awesome November especially with movies! Arrival was so good - I haven't been able to come up with a review yet. Hope you have a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm absolutely with you there. My review was such a copout, I avoided most of the story because of spoilers but in reality I still haven't come to terms with just how good it was!
      I hope you do, too!
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. Gasp! I don't know what Westworld is. And if it's surpassing Stranger Things as your 2016 fave....... No.....I shouldn't. Okay, so how many stay-up-all-night nights will Westworld give me? �� I am in between The Walking Dead, and Dr. Who, plus there's Brooklyn Nine-Nine 4 which I haven't caught up with...can I not leave my room?
    Good luck with the upcoming Christmas Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Prudence you need to start Westworld! It's a typical HBO style show so 9 episodes out so far, 1 hour long each. The season finale is on Sunday/Monday (I can't remember) and it's SO GOOD.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a great month of movies. Hope December is even better. And hope Jenna is coming back to us, soon!

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere in between watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on repeat, I'm sure there will be plenty of other great movies that I'll get to watch!
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Yeah where did the year go? It's depressing I remember watching The Big Short on New Year's Eve last year as if it was yesterday

    ReplyDelete