Saturday, 4 April 2015

A Fistful of Moments Blogathon

Our good friend Andrew over at A Fistful of Thoughts has literally ordered us to take part in his latest Blogathon, all about our favourite cinematic moments. This is such a wonderful theme as everyone's lists will be completely different! Here are the rules, in the words of Andrew himself:

1) Pick a number between 1 and 100 (any more than 100 is just gaudy)
2) Choose that many cinematic moments that are either your all time favorites or ones that could, on any given day, be your all time favorites
3) Post them on your blog (or Tumblr or whatever) with the above header (or one you create for yourself)
4) Send me the link by either posting it here in the comments or getting ahold of me on Twitter (@fististhoughts)

You can also find the post he wrote which inspired the whole Blogathon here. Here are my choices!

1- The first glimpse of Hogwarts castle in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. After spending my childhood reading the books and dreaming about getting my own Hogwarts acceptance letter, this moment was magical for me.

Hogwarts Castle First Look

2 - The final scene in Birdman, where Emma Stone looks up to the sky and we’re left wondering what on earth she just saw. I was confused and amazed at the same time.



3 - Godzilla’s roar. This is probably a really unpopular choice, but it’s the only Godzilla movie I’ve seen and hearing that roar for the first time in the IMAX cinema nearly made me wet myself!



4 - The song, Life’s A Happy Song from The Muppets. Nothing in the world can make me smile more than these few minutes, and it doesn’t matter what kind of mood I’m in, this will always cheer me up.



5 - The British and German soldiers cutting free Joey in the middle of no mans land in War Horse. I held my breath throughout the whole scene without even realising.

6 - THIS. IS. SPARTA. Do I even need to explain this any further? 300 was amazing, and this is one of the most bad-ass moments I’ve ever seen in a movie. I was totally going to put this in - great minds ay!


7 - Olive’s family joining her on stage one by one to dance to Superfreak in Little Miss Sunshine. This scene was not only hilarious, but extremely touching, and just goes to show that family will always be there for you.

8 - The ants, led by Flick standing up to Hopper for the first time in A Bugs Life. This sounds a little silly, but I was just starting to learn what bullies were when this came out, and this scene stuck with me for years.

A bugs life best scene


9 - The girl in the red coat in Schindler’s List. I only saw this for the first time recently, but I asked out loud, what happened to that girl in the red coat, I hadn't seen her for ages, and then saw her body, and it left me cold.

How could I not get involved in this, so here goes:

1. Just because I am a sucker for a love story, the kiss after 7 years apart in The Notebook gets me every time, the timing is just perfect and the chemistry is amazing. 

2. That moment is Cast Away when you realise just how much Wilson meant to chuck, its heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time.  One minute you are near tears and then you realise that it is in fact a volleyball!



3. I think most people would consider the bikes flying scene in ET pretty memorable, but for me its the scene when the viewer became aware that ET and Elliot are connected on another level and Elliot is all but wasted at school, I must have gone 15 years without watching this film after my first viewing and that was the only scene I remembered!

4. What could be better than that guy from Beverley Hills 90210 chainsawing his way out of the inside of a Great White Shark in the midst of a Sharknado?!



5.  As  much as I am a fan of Christian Bale, Heath Ledger without a doubt stole the show in The Dark Knight and the scene where he set the money on fire, just showed how truly evil the Joker was.  He didn't do any of what he did for the money or the power, it was just to watch the world burn "this town deserves a better class of criminal..."

6.  Katniss shoots the pig, she shoots the pig!  The Hunger Games wouldn't be the same without the unexpected (less so as I had read the book but you know what I mean!) and the extreme, plus her face when stares directly at the Gamemakers and bows, brilliant.



7.  This is pretty predictable, but anyone who knows me, knows that I love a good chick flick and the ultimate 'girly dream' was to have Patrick Swayze walk up to your family dinner table and declare "nobody puts *insert name here* in the corner" Swoon!!  Dirty Dancing has to be in my list...

16 comments:

  1. Great list! Dirty Dancing almost made my list! That scene made me swoon. Love the 300 and Little Miss Sunshine picks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, girls! These are great picks, and I love how a lot of these have a personal ring to them (get your letter yet?). Also...you guys are the first to mention Sharknado, and so for that you guys rule!

    WILSON! Love that you went with that moment too.

    And 'Life is a Happy Song' is a GREAT movie moment...so warm and joyful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting! This has been so much fun. I'd love to re-visit this list in a few months time because I'm sure I could easily think of more, given the time :D
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. That is a pretty good selection of films. I'm still trying to get my list going. So far I've only got one, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get any more before the deadline, but hopefully I'll find something else.

    If it's any interest, I did just start a blogathon of my own that I think you might enjoy: http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2015/04/summer-blockbuster-cast-thon.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I'll check our your blogathon, it sounds like a good one :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Aww, I love that A Bug's Life was included! That's one of my favorite Pixar films. This is Sparta is excellent too. I think about that every time I jokingly kick at someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You just can't kick anything without shouting it in your mind, can you?
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Lots of unique picks here, I love it! That moment from Little Miss Sunshine is just perfect. THIS IS SPARTA is perfect in an entirely different way, lol. Great call on Cast Away, such a tough moment. Man, I have to see Sharknado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you really do! Grab a few friends and a few drinks first, and with an open mind, you'll love it for all the wrong reasons!
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Great list! I especially like the scene from Little Miss Sunshine. That was a great moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved the whole film itself but that scene in particular will always stay with me, haha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Yes! That scene in War Horse!!

    And yes, she did shoot that pig... Love The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I didn't think that War Horse would tug on my heartstrings as much as it did :(
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. Don't apologize for Godzilla! We all have our moments like that.
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so glad no one's told me off for sticking Godzilla in here!
      - Allie

      Delete