Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Happy Bloggerversary Flick Chicks!!

Exactly 1 year ago today, Jenna and I were having a movie evening at her house after work. I don’t remember what film we watched, but I can safely say we probably demolished a chinese takeaway that night. Rewind by about 2 weeks, and we had spent all day of every day planning something huge, a movie blog that we would run together.  Turns out at the time, Allie wrote me a letter that she was going to post to me but kept forgetting, I got this letter last weekend!!  Check it out:


Super sweet :-) We have now decided to write one this year to open on the next Bloggerversary!!

Those who have been here a while know the story already, but we were work pals a couple of years ago and spent every lunch break rambling on about films we’d seen and passed on recommendations. When we parted, we promised to keep in touch, and emailing each other little movie reviews was what kept us talking, and meeting up often. Jenna was already manning a personal blog, and I’d always wanted to dabble in the blogging community, and so this seemed like a great idea.  Not surprisingly the personal blog took a rapid nosedive once this one was up and running :-)

(Last weekend I got my bridesmaids together for the first time, and Jenna and I were meant to get some pictures together for this post, which never happened so here we are with my other 2 bridesmaids! - and the empty glasses from the FOURTH round of shots!!)



Honestly, I didn’t think we’d manage more than a few months, let alone a whole year. It’s more difficult than you think, sharing a blog. We’ll shuffle each other’s reviews around (don’t even ask me how many times How To Lose Friends and Alienate People got moved Damn me forgetting to move it again, it started in December last year and got moved all the way to March, I wanted to get it back round to December again!!) and some reviews would sit in draft for months while it waits for the other to watch the film and add to it. I think we’ve finally found a way of running it that works, and the banter in our reviews is absolutely worth it!  I am so pleased that we have kept this going to a whole year and I can't wait to celebrate our 2 year bloggerversary (with tequila) - onwards and upwards for Flick Chicks :-)

To celebrate our 1 Year Bloggerversary, rather than blow our own trumpet for hundreds of words (as much as I would love to!), we wanted to give a shoutout to some of the blogs out there that give us inspiration daily, who we admire and many who we consider to be friends. Our first couple of months running this blog were spent talking to nobody, but now we log in each day to new comments, and we wanted to say thank you!



Brittani, Rambling Film: The second Blogathon we took part in was Brittani’s A-Z Movie Titles. This is still one of my favourites, and Jenna and I spent about a week emailing eachother with what we were going to include. Our post was the first one to attract a few comments, and that’s the first time it felt like we were really part of the community. So for that, thank you Brittani!  You are the first person I remember commenting regularly on our blog when we started, how could we not love our first regular comment-er :-)

Andrew (Fisti), A Fistful of Films: This guy writes the funniest blog posts we have ever seen. Seriously. If I’m feeling bummed out, I’ll just head over to his blog and I’m soon smiling again. He’s also one of the kindest person we’ve met through this blog, and he’s written so many posts sharing the work of others. We love you, dude! It's true we do, you are freakin' hilarious!

Wendell, Dell On Movies: Dell is the king of Blogathons. He’s the reason we’ve spent many a movie night with our heads in our notebooks, trying to put our brains together for latest Cast-a-Thon. His creativity has no limit, and he’s a comical genius too. I think I choked on my cup of tea last time I read his Quick and Dirties <--- I don't know what this is but i need to find out! Stay awesome, Dell!


Rhys, Feeling Fuzzier: Rhys is our bestest Twitter buddy, you’ll normally find us singing Andrew Garfield’s praises or not being afraid to admit that we kind of enjoyed Green Lantern (okay, me more than most). 5am debates on who will win best Actor at the Oscars was pretty memorable! Rhys writes some awesome reviews, and runs a few regular series’ too, so if you don’t follow him already, check him out!

Over the last year, there have been countless comments that have literally made me laugh out loud, spit my morning brew (all over my computer) and immediately text Allie to ask her if she had seen it too.  So that being said, here are some of the best (that I could find, there was ALOT)...

"OMG! LOL...this is the greatest review ever!" - Fisti (A Fistful of Films)

"If you're ever in the mood for a film that'll give you a headache and make your face look funny, give it a go! :D" - Allie (Flick Chicks)

"Such a good movie. And you're right, it won't put off the girls either. I took my 5 year old daughter and she absolutely loved it. We were doing the Baymax fist bump for a good two weeks after seeing it. :)" - Kyle (A Little Bit of Awesome goes a Long Way) 
"My wife saw the trailer for 50 Shades of Grey and pretty much fainted, so I guess I'll be seeing that." - Fisti (A Fistful of Films)



"And the 200th post was dedicated to pronunciation guide! lol! Happy 200th, girls! I haven't even hit the number. Lol." - (Sinekdoks)



"Damn, you two fly a lot. lol Excellent review, I loved this film as well. I'm glad Lost Stars is Oscar nominated." - Brittani (Rambling Film)



""Useless wet lettuce" - love it!" - Rhys (Feeling Fuzzier)


"Most be my inner child that loves the muppets" - Darren (Movies Review 101)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone who has made us feel so welcome in the movie blog community and here's to another year of Jenna and Allie AKA Flick Chicks!!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Bloggerversary! Can't wait to read so much more from you gals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this little bloggerversary is enough inspiration to keep going for another year :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Happy Bloggerversary! And thanks for the shout out. You ladies are awesome, and I absolutely love your blog. Here's to many more blogging years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you're more than welcome! We're definitely not going anywhere yet! :D
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. You guys are like the cutest bloggers EVER! I seriously love your banter and your reviews are so uniquely your own because of that. Thank you so much for the love you've shown my blog and all the kind words. Right back at the both of you.

    HAPPY BLOGGERVERSARY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Jenna just text me like 'Have you seen Fisti's comment?! I love this guy!'
      But seriously, right back at your right back at us...you've shown us more than enough love this past year :D
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. LOL! Let the love continue for another year, and many, many more!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on making it to a year! This is one of the most fun places to visit on my stroll through the blogosphere. I'm so proud to call you blogging buddies. And a huge thanks for referring to me as a "comical genius." I don't care if real comical geniuses are iinsulted by that, I'll take the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had no idea comical genius can been as in insult! I'll have to try and find a new saying...
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's hoping we'll be doing another post just like this in another year :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. Thanks for shoutout ladies! :) Congratulations on your 1st bloggerversary - I missed my third and didn't end up write anything! Ah well, there's always next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you! I think even having a third year is amazing on its own, so congratulations!
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Happy bloggerversary, and thanks for the shout out. You guys have one of my favorite blogs. Love the reviews and the banter. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only just stumbled on your site, but congrats!!

    ReplyDelete